Why become a member? ×

Homegrown pickup makers.....opinions

ebenezer

On 25/01/2024 at 15:41, Russ said:

I can recommend Herrick - https://www.herrickpickups.com/

Martin makes some great stuff, including some fantastic multicoils in various configurations. He's pretty quick, but, like most of these companies, he's not all that cheap. 

I am consistently intrigued by the concept of a multicoil '51 P pickup. When I'm done abstaining from gear this year I might give it a go in my Sire D5.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ebenezer said:

As a cheaper option, i have read some good reviews on the Tonerider pickups, these are made in China but it would seem to a good spec, anyone fitted these ? 

I've not BUT i have read many reviews from people on here and also talkbass. They liken it to the fender custom shop 62 pickup in a good way. The fender has a slightly more open sound compared to the tonerider. Makes sense as the fender reads 10.5 and the tonerider 11.5(p bass)

Many rate it very highly.

I had a good experience with Ash at Oil City Pickups. He rewound my 73 Jazz bridge pickup with vintage wire and lacquered it exactly as it was before. It sounds great. He makes great pickups from scratch, and will build exactly what you want.

Rob