Why become a member? ×

Audutions

I'm going for an audtion tomorrow night ,I was sent 4 songs on MP3 last week and told to write some basslines to jam with. So I've dutifully written some lines only to be told this morning that as they have a new singer they've changed all the keys ! ( looks like they've all gone up a third ) I dont have time to write new lines and I dont feel comfortable transposing in an audition situation ( which I hate anyway). TBH I'm a bit disspointed but I suppose it happens .So I suppose I'll have to play it safe and learn the new root notes and just stick with them. Any other ideas ???

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='485829' date='May 12 2009, 12:38 PM']I'm going for an audtion tomorrow night ,I was sent 4 songs on MP3 last week and told to write some basslines to jam with. So I've dutifully written some lines only to be told this morning that as they have a new singer they've changed all the keys ! ( looks like they've all gone up a third ) I dont have time to write new lines and I dont feel comfortable transposing in an audition situation ( which I hate anyway). TBH I'm a bit disspointed but I suppose it happens .So I suppose I'll have to play it safe and learn the new root notes and just stick with them. Any other ideas ???[/quote]

Why can't you transpose? Not enough time or do the bass lines not transpose well?

Hold on when I check the mail again most of three of the songs go up a major third wih the exception of one which goes up a major 5th. As far as transposing goes I will only have a hour tonight and to originally write the lines I just played around with root and 5th and then added bits and pieces which I thought sounded good so I havent really analysied anything

Its prob not such a big problem but I'm going to have to write out all the new chords tonight and then play the new paterns for the first time in the audition and as I said before I really hate auditions as I get nervous so I can just see me mixing up the old patterns and the new ones - still I suppose its all learning !

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='486002' date='May 12 2009, 03:05 PM']Its prob not such a big problem but I'm going to have to write out all the new chords tonight and then play the new paterns for the first time in the audition and as I said before I really hate auditions as I get nervous so I can just see me mixing up the old patterns and the new ones - still I suppose its all learning ![/quote]

Here's a thought - if you tune your bass up (or maybe down) then you can play the songs in the same position ? (bit like the capo idea but tuning instead) You should be able ot play the songs as you've learned them for the audition then if you get in the band go away and relearn at your leisure ?