Why become a member? ×

I’m here to learn

RustyGadget

I’m a lifelong musician and just recently started playing bass. I’ve done some lurking and love what I’m finding here. I especially am interested in learning more about the different cab designs that have been developed here. Anyone from the US build a BC 112 Mk3 to spec?

• Like 2

No pressure then, I'll need to catch up on writing everything up. I shouldn't have signed up with that third band. Playing bass is getting in the way of chatting about it :) If you need help with the builds PM me for suggestions, I'm not sure of what drive units you can source easily over there but I've helped out other people with tweaks to the designs.

BTW @stevie designed the BC112 mk3

Welcome to Bass Chat

Edited by Phil Starr

@Phil Starr I think I can source all of the drivers, preliminary budget looks to be around $600 (about 475 pounds? - I can’t find that symbol on my iPad keyboard). The only problem is the horn, I think ebay showed a seller who ships across the pond. I’m going to have to hunt for a poplar plywood alternative, a cursory search is not turning anything up near by. I’m not in a hurry - I’m a school band director and have access to a couple of amps at work. 

I’m most interested in the 8” cab build at the moment though. That one will probably be cheap enough I can sneak those purchases past the budget committee. If I don’t buy music related gear in large sums, she doesn’t complain too much. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Richard R said:

CAB physics is too complicated for me these days.... so I just DI and PA.

...such a lightweight, Richard! 😉

Oops - excuse me, greetings Rusty! - good luck with the cab builds ...and the 'committee' approval 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RustyGadget said:

@Phil Starr I think I can source all of the drivers, preliminary budget looks to be around $600 (about 475 pounds? - I can’t find that symbol on my iPad keyboard). The only problem is the horn, I think ebay showed a seller who ships across the pond. I’m going to have to hunt for a poplar plywood alternative, a cursory search is not turning anything up near by. I’m not in a hurry - I’m a school band director and have access to a couple of amps at work. 

I’m most interested in the 8” cab build at the moment though. That one will probably be cheap enough I can sneak those purchases past the budget committee. If I don’t buy music related gear in large sums, she doesn’t complain too much. 

OK the 8" is the one I'm needing to work on next(!). We've a couple of builders over here who are going to have a go too and the prototype I built for a friend so I've never used it in anger. I like to thoroughly test cabs before I put the final design up.

If you decide to go for the BC112T later then we've found other horns that work. The supply of the specified one has been difficult here too.

• Like 1

What other horns are now recommended?
Does this require any other changes?

Have these been tried?

The idea of the woodworking doesn’t bother - I worked in a cabinet shop in college and have plenty off tools in the shop. The crossover doesn’t bother me, I can’t do surface mount stuff but I can solder without cold joints on automotive wiring. I just want to be able to put together a cab that just works. 

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2024 at 06:45, Phil Starr said:

OK the 8" is the one I'm needing to work on next(!). We've a couple of builders over here who are going to have a go too and the prototype I built for a friend so I've never used it in anger. I like to thoroughly test cabs before I put the final design up.

If you decide to go for the BC112T later then we've found other horns that work. The supply of the specified one has been difficult here too.

I think I want build a BC112T.  What other horn would you suggest? Are there modifications to the crossover needed?

The B&C ME10 mk2 is good. and the Celestion H1-7050 or the H1SC-8050 would work well though the latter would need an adaptor for the specified compression driver as it is a screw fit horn

• Like 1