Why become a member? ×

MTD Grendel / Bass centre Stadium bass?

Brian18242

Any feedback on the MTD Grendel / Bass centre stadium bass would be greatly welcomed!

I have the option of purchasing one but know very little about them? I'm looking for a modern jazz and they seem to tick the box.

The one I'm looking at is a bass centre stadium 4 bass.

The Czech-made Grendels are great instruments. Not heavy, no neck dive, Schaller tuners, Hipshot B style bridge. Figured maple top. What’s not to like?

The Bartolini pre and pick-ups (exposed pole pieces) are fine for a modern Jazz sound. You have additional control of mids via a toggle switch.

Apart from the pot control knobs, which are a bit naff - the overall package scores high on quality/value-for-money.

I don’t know the Stadium version, but I understand they are a badge-engineered version of the MTD.

Go for it……..great basses.

I have a Grendel, and i believe the Stadiums were rebadged versions branded for the Bass Centre?

I've not played a Stadium, but the Grendels have a great rep.

As long as there are no issues with it, I'm sure it will be a decent bass.

Edited by Gwilym
  • Like 1

Is it the black 4 stringer at BC?

Looks to be in good condition, but if you look at the specs, I'm not convinced they are accurate and might be a cut and paste job from a different bass.

For example the pickups in the picture are clearly Bartolini and i suspect the fretboard could be wenge not rosewood. I'd give them a call to clarify if anything is particularly important to you. Worthwhile trying it too if possible.

Price wise, i think it's reasonable, but perhaps not a bargain, for a bass that's probably well over 20years old (mid 90s i think?), but it does come with a 1 year warranty.

Yep, that's the exact bass! Before any decision is made I will be calling up to discuss. I agree, the specs listed do not match but that looks like a copy paste error.

I think the usual resale price for a MTD Grendel 4 is between £400 - 600 so it is at the top end but does look like a nice bass

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

The Czech-made Grendels are great instruments. Not heavy, no neck dive, Schaller tuners, Hipshot B style bridge. Figured maple top. What’s not to like?

The Bartolini pre and pick-ups (exposed pole pieces) are fine for a modern Jazz sound.

This ^ is bang on the money. Very impressive bass for the money but when I had mine I had yet to realise that I am fundamentally a P-bass sort of guy so I just didn't get on with the Barts.

• Like 1