Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Special electronics

Hi everyone,

Earlier this week I became the owner of this Fender Jazz Bass Special from 1985, I had wanted a bass like this for some time and this one came my way. In good condition for its age, but the three-way pickup selector is showing signs of wear, I will have it replaced. It looks like it has been replaced before, given the melted sleeve of the wires attached to it. The entire switch doesn't seem original to me, it only fits into the space sideways. The TBX tone control works well but does not seem original, given the size of the potentiometers. The two volume pots are much larger. The values of the resistors and capacitor seem to be OK, but I don't know whether they are original. There is also some melted sleeve there.

My question is: could someone who has the same type of Jazz Bass Special post a photo of the untouched control cavity? Then I can do some comparative work. I've searched the internet but couldn't find a photo of this. I didn't buy the bass as a collector, so i do not have a problem with replaced electronics, but I'm just curious. And the pickup selector must be replaced anyway, preferably with something that resembles the original. Thank you in advance! Pictures of the situation in my bass below.

BAss.jpeg

Whole.jpeg

TBX control.jpeg

VolumeVolume.jpeg

PickupSelector.jpeg

Edited by CorrieDeee

I have a pair of the "Power" models and, having stripped out the electronics I can't really be of much help, however, I just wanted to congratulate you on your new purchase. I adore the 80's MIJ Fenders. These basses really are incredible when you can find one that has been looked after. I keep trying other basses but for my 4 string needs, my pair are beautiful. I actually want another for a little project! 

On 11/01/2024 at 22:35, CorrieDeee said:

could someone who has the same type of Jazz Bass Special post a photo of the untouched control cavity? Then I can do some comparative work. I've searched the internet but couldn't find a photo of this. I didn't buy the bass as a collector, so i do not have a problem with replaced electronics, but I'm just curious. And the pickup selector must be replaced anyway, preferably with something that resembles the original

....looks to me like they've missed off the Tone cap(s) on the (stacked) Tone control (in this diagram).  Some diagrams have a single Tone pot and some dual.  If using a single pot like yours then the cap needs to be connected from Gnd (case) to one of the end lugs (depending on which direction you want the control to turn forTreble cut)

FenderJazzSpecial.thumb.jpg.7407899fdbc3ed4927de9d024b1d8b22.jpg

Edited by sandy_r

Mine has different electronics in it now but I believe the switch is original, if that helps?

EDIT: the switch is meant to be oriented that way, so could well be original. 

Edited by foxyFuze

Thanks for your responses. It appears, after some more research, that the electronics are original. Bad soldering job from the factory I think. The three way switch works a lot better after a dose of contact spray so I'll keep it that way!

12 hours ago, CorrieDeee said:

Thanks for your responses. It appears, after some more research, that the electronics are original. Bad soldering job from the factory I think. The three way switch works a lot better after a dose of contact spray so I'll keep it that way!

Original electronics, but it may be that someone had them out, put other pickups in and, when it came to sale, saw the benefits of putting the originals back in - Definitely not bad factory soldering! My 10 year old could do better! 

• Like 1