Why become a member? ×

Another What's this keyboard sound question

OK, I can see from the video that the guy is using a Korg, probably an SV2, but what do the keyboard experts think it is emulating (if indeed it is)? Sounds to my ears a bit like Fender Rhodes with some vibraphone dialled in! Whatever it is sounds great to me ears!  

Is it possible that this could be some sort of mix? I don't know the SV-2, and don't know its capacities for mixing or for editing sounds.

See, on first listen I feel I hear some Hohner Pianet components and some Wurlitzer ones. The attack seems quite undefined though, which makes me wonder.
Maybe some closer listening tomorrow might either reveal more or tell that my initial feeling is off the mark.

Yeah, a nice sound indeed.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Is it possible that this could be some sort of mix? I don't know the SV-2, and don't know its capacities for mixing or for editing sounds.

See, on first listen I feel I hear some Pianet components and some Wurlitzer ones. The attack seems quite undefined though, which makes me wonder.
Maybe some closer listening tomorrow might either reveal more or tell that my initial feeling is off the mark.

Yeah, a nice sound indeed.

I hoped you might contribute, thanks. Yes, I was thinking it was a blend, but know very little about what keyboards can do.  There's a 'sweeter' tone in there that the Wurlitzer and Fender Rhodes don't have on their own.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mykesbass said:

I hoped you might contribute, thanks. Yes, I was thinking it was a blend, but know very little about what keyboards can do.  There's a 'sweeter' tone in there that the Wurlitzer and Fender Rhodes don't have on their own.

You're quite welcome; my cell likes attempting to solve stuff.

From that first listen, for the moment I think the Rhodes is not a component, but then again: maybe I suffer from foot-in-mouth disease, who knows.
I was also thinking of one I haven't played myself, and I need time to remember its name, but there was an electronic piano that I think could make sound not dissimilar to this. When I've remembered its name, I'll check on YT before making more claims.

Do you happen to know whether it's easy to distinguish an SV-1 from an SV-2 from looking at them? See, I thought there probably are preset lists online, which might help, as I'm guessing the SV editing capacity is limited, and that we're probably listening to something that is relatively close to one or more of the factory presets. 

Having listened through better speakers, I now believe it's probably a Pianet, and only a Pianet, and that the attack phase possibly is hidden by the other instruments or the SV-2 or the studio processing or whatever, or that my ears are too slow.
Either that or it's a Pianet model I don't know - one that has a mellower attack.
I don't hear the Wurly anymore, and think that idea probably was an invention in my head, as the sound originally bewildered me.

If you check out the Pianet, be aware the different models sound differently. Start with N and T, and you'll probably already have found the right one, as IMS those were the volume sellers, and in case would be the first ones to put into an SV.
I don't remember the Pianet story other than that they mellowed it down when the Rhodes became hugely popular.

BTW, you made me fondly remember how I said "no" to buying a Pianet because it lacked stops, and I would then need yet another keyboard to get different sounds. See, there's only so many keyboards you can pile on top of your parent's "bee you tea full" organ in the living room without your mum throwing you out of the house.
So I bought an electronic one (Elka?), which was covered in black Tolex instead of veneer like the Pianet.
Huge mistake.
Mum accepted my veneer-equipped synth, but this Tolex ruined her living room and "what will my friends say; it's a circus here!"
For reasons unknown to mankind, she also wanted me to remove an extra electronic organ to the side of the official one, the extra one standing in front of two cupboards so you couldn't open those anymore.
Yeah, I don't get it either. It had veneer, fer cryin' out loud! 😁

Edited by BassTractor
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BassTractor said:

Oh, yes, "The Planets" is a luvverly piece.
You might also wish to listen to recordings of the  "P I A N E T".   😁

(Guessing that was altoconnect doing its ugly work)

Sure was!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

I had a Pianet once. Sold to me in 1980 by a young chap called Django Bates. He’ll never get anywhere with a name like that, thought I…

I knew his trombonist. Tried to sign him when he was running his band Microgroove. Think he did as well as Django...

Re the Pianet chat, I own a Pianet N and have previously owned a T. The N has some Wurly-esque properties, but with a kind of mushy feel in the bass and an interesting plucky snap up high. The T is a lot mellower, somewhat Rhodes-like but with a narrower dynamic range and different overtones.

If I had to guess what the patch used in the video above is modelling, I'd guess at an early model Rhodes, like the silver top, pre Mark I era. Hard to tell once it's been tweaked a little and gone through the signal chain though.

We used my N on a couple of tracks on my band's last record.

• Thanks 1