Why become a member? ×

My First Tunes on Myspace

AdamWoodBass

Hey guys,

Ok been getting to grips with ableton now and I've come up with this little tune.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/adambassman2008"]http://www.myspace.com/adambassman2008[/url]

Known issues are the volume (way too quiet but i can't seem to get the volume up withouty peaking everything!) and the solos (they're generally a bit crap!)

I know the solos are just a case of me sitting down and working out what I'm actually gonna play rather than trying to do it on the fly but any advice on getting the track volume right?

Cheers guys and gals!

Ad

P.S. I've added a new mellow down tempo tune too!

P.P.S. I've changed the solos ever so slightly on both of them so they're a bit less er... crap!

Edited by AdamWoodBass

[quote name='bumfrog' post='485192' date='May 11 2009, 05:06 PM']If you give us some info about what you are recording with and how, we may be able to help you with your sound problems :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm using a pretty crappy pc (2.8ghz, 1 gig ram etc) and a line 6 studio gx with ableton live 7. The real bitch was the fact that when I bough the line 6 it didn't come with a manual for ableton, they didn't account for numpties like me knowing virtually nothing about recording! :)

Any advice is much appreciated matey.

Ad

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='485198' date='May 11 2009, 05:12 PM']I'm using a pretty crappy pc (2.8ghz, 1 gig ram etc) and a line 6 studio gx with ableton live 7. The real bitch was the fact that when I bough the line 6 it didn't come with a manual for ableton, they didn't account for numpties like me knowing virtually nothing about recording! :)

Any advice is much appreciated matey.

Ad[/quote]

so presumably the bass is just going straight in. You could try using a di box, or if your amp has it, a balanced out. That can sometimes smooth the sound out a bit. If not, a bit of compression.

Usually though I'll just my superfly as a DI box, make sure the level isn't too high, isn't too low, then any boosting needed afterwards will be through a bit of compression or something like that.

There's some more knowledgeable peeps kicking about, i'm sure they'll drop in at some point :rolleyes:

The thing is the bass is just going straight into the line 6 which is acting like a DI box and even more so as I've bypassed the effects. I'm thinking I might try running the track through some kind of maximizer program and boost the levels that way. Yeah it'll sound super compressed but short of rerecording it I don't really know what to do. To be honest it was only ever meant to be a demo as I'm actively looking for more session work now and I needed something on my myspace pretty sharpish! I'm trying to make a go of the "pro musician" thing while I've still got the chance to do it.

Added another tune today, The levels are a bit better on this one. I've been listenin to a lot of Oli Rockberger recently so this one's nice and mellow to contrast the Marcus Miller rip off! Btw all the backing tracks are done by me in Reason 4.

Cheers

Ad

• 8 months later...

well done man!

wakin' up is really catchy but i think volumes should be more balanced. I still have to listen it with proper headphones so this is not my last word :)

Late o clock sounds much more professional.

About the technical stuff i don't deal too much with it. I'm the dumbarse dropping beats and basslines :rolleyes: and my bass go straight in the pc thru a mixer. But I'm not looking for the same polished sound as yours, i'm heavily effecting it, that's make a difference. Without make up i would struggle much more to get your sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one Adam - a promising start - the two big plus points being that the bass has recorded really well and your playing sounds great - and despite your limited DAW's processing power you've got a pretty good result. I found when I was just using Garage Band I worked a lot quicker than in Logic, so less options can actually being a blessing when trying to get your ideas down - so don't look at what you 'can't' do but what you can... keep em coming - you'll learn more and more stuff with each tune you record yourself - it just takes time and perseverance.

Cheers

Mike