Why become a member? ×

Gibson Custom Shop Chambered sunburst 1958 Les Paul Reissue VOS - *SOLD*
£3695
Swindon

Every time I think about selling this guitar I get it out for a play and change my mind. I haven't gigged this one in over 3 years because I end up taking one of my P90-powered guitars instead. I'm a single-coil kind of chap at heart. My guitars are for gigging and I could use the funds for other things, so...

It's a Gibson Custom Shop Chambered 1958 Les Paul Reissue VOS, bought used from Vintage & Rare in Bath in 2008. I believe it dates from 2007 but it came without case candy (although I have kept the VOS sticker from the scratch plate, which was still on when I got it.)

This is the model that Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd chose as a working substitute for his '59 in terms of sound. Unlike LPs that are simply weight-relieved by drilling out loads of cylindrical cavities before applying the maple cap, this guitar has a substantial internal chamber rather like that of a Gretsch Duo Jet - hence the very manageable weight.

Specs:
Body: Chambered mahogany with carved maple top
Neck Material: 1-piece mahogany
Neck Joint: Long neck tenon
Neck Profile: Chunky!
Nut Width: 43.5mm / 1-11/16"
Scale: 24.75in
Rosewood
Frets: 22
Fingerboard Inlays: Vintage trapezoid
Binding: Single-ply cream on top and neck
Machine Heads: Kluson Deluxe with tulip keys
Pickups: Burstbucker 1 (rhythm) and 2 (treble)
Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch
Bridge: ABR-1 bridge with lightweight aluminium stopbar tailpiece
Weight: 3.368kg / 7lb 6.8oz (excluding scratchplate - I prefer it off!)
Custom Shop fitted case

The flamed maple top is very striking, and features a pronounced grain pattern. I would have been happy with a plain finish, but to me this was the best sounding LP in the shop at the time. I have set the guitar up to play comfortably (for me) and I am not aware of any issues with it. I believe it started out with some very mild artificial wear, to which I have added some genuine play wear.

I'm looking for £3,695 collected from Swindon. I'm not willing to send the guitar by courier, and I would prefer that you tried it yourself through whatever kit you prefer before parting with your money.

I am happy to consider trades. I am particularly interested in the following with cash my way:

• Trent Model 1 guitar
  • Fano SP6 guitar
  • Gibson SG Junior guitar
  • ESP GL-56 guitar (Japan - not LTD)
  • Strandberg Sälen guitar
  • 1970s Precision in black or white
  • Fender or Squier Mustang bass
  • Handbox WB-100 head
  • Zilla 1x12 guitar cab
  • ThorpyFX Scarlet Tunic pedal

The above list is not exhaustive - by all means contact me with details of what you have.

Below are the photos that I submitted to chambered-reissue.org but I will add some more once the weather permits outdoor photography! These pics show Schaller strap-lock buttons but I have since gone back to the regular strap buttons and Grolsch washers.

2016-06-17%2016.24.41.jpg2016-06-17%2016.24.48.jpg2016-06-17%2016.25.10.jpg

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I've been asked to show the top in indoor lighting so I've made this short video which shows (1) some light dinging, (2) the way the quilting 'ripples' as your POV changes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • JapanAxe changed the title to SOLD Gibson Custom Shop Chambered sunburst 1958 Les Paul Reissue VOS