Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass CMD121 gain clipping using a Boss WL-20 wireless

Rusco

It's easy to set the gain to clip (blue led) using a cable but not if I switch to the Boss wireless, the blue led never comes on no matter the gain setting.. even at max / 5 o'clock.

Has anyone else had this or know why?

Thinking there's probably an easy explanation and one that I should really already know!

Cheers.

9 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I use a WL-20 with a MB III. I have not noticed any issues but I have never tried to turn the gain up to clipping level. As a matter of interest, what is the benefit of having the gain so high? Doesn’t it distort?

Its the Mark Bass recommended way of setting although I don’t normally run it that high myself. I guess its calibrating the range to ensure bass at max goes up to just clipping but not beyond. Even with bass and gain at max it never clips when using the WL-20 🧐

From Mark Bass:

‘Set your bass volume on full, and start with the gain and master controls off.Play your bass at your hardest level, and turn up the gain until the blue clip light starts illuminating’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusco said:

Its the Mark Bass recommended way of setting although I don’t normally run it that high myself. I guess its calibrating the range to ensure bass at max goes up to just clipping but not beyond. Even with bass and gain at max it never clips when using the WL-20 🧐

From Mark Bass:

‘Set your bass volume on full, and start with the gain and master controls off.Play your bass at your hardest level, and turn up the gain until the blue clip light starts illuminating’

Ah, OK. One of these days I might read a manual 😏.

• Haha 1

On 31/12/2023 at 01:36, neepheid said:

Of course, I can't pinpoint where I gathered this info/lore, but I was always led to believe that you set your preamp gain high enough that the clip light just gets tickled when you play your loudest/heaviest.  I take it that's BS then?

That was how Trace specified their three light system. Red flicking on heaviest hits = just right.