Why become a member? ×

Double bass and accordion midi bass

Euan Mackie

I play both those instruments and I'd say if you've got a double bass, the accordionist is freed up from having to carry the bass with their left hand and they can do looser, freer chords, maybe with a less bassy reed setting. Or come to that, since it's a midi accordion, use a piano sound on the left hand. Either way, let the bassist play the basslines and don't clutter up the bottom end.

• Like 3

This is probably more a discussion about accordion playing than double bass playing - as a bassist, I don't think you need to do anything different or special in accompanying an accordionist. But as an accordionist, especially one with an electronically-augmented left hand capable of big bass sounds, you definitely need to leave more space down there for the bass.

Depending on the musical genre, one easy change if playing a conventional left hand pattern (root-chord-root-chord, with the roots generally alternating I - V) is to only play every other riot note while still putting a chord on every off-beat (root-chord, chord-root-chord, chord).