Why become a member? ×

New bass on the way…

Big J

so, after searching the internet for inspiration and missing out on a couple of choices for something different to stretch me a bit from my usual Fender J/P 4 string choices I was about to buy a Gibson Thunderbird, I like to look of them, I play like Nikki Sixx, and my back is fragile… so it all made perfect sense to me. Then I spotted the obvious… long scale, 4 strings, somewhat traditional….. urgh…. I had failed my main brief of “something to stretch me a bit”. Like a 5er/fanfret/shorty etc..

I had looked at so many basses that I was starting to fosters myself off. So. My plan was simple.

1. Drink some beers.

2. Open the iPad.

3. Don’t pretend to be deep, be your shallow self and look at things you think look nice.
4. buy it within 60minutes.

narrowly skirting a mustang shorty (which I still might buy) and an Ibanez with 5 strings, fan frets, 7 knobs and an equal number of random letters and numbers for a name, I bumped back into a Sire I’d seen a couple of weeks ago locally.

From what I can gather, there’s a “spread” of opinions here on Sire basses. So, I ignored them, and tried one myself… liked it. But it was a 4 string. Back home I browsed for a one second hand, then moved to new ones… and found one for a good price. Initially looking for a blue Sire Version 2 Updated M7 Alder 5 String but found one in Brown Sunburst that caught my eye. So bought it. It arrives Friday. 
😬

looks like this….

IMG_2570.thumb.jpeg.46f212ede024eeb6482bef215e515471.jpeg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Big J said:

I had looked at so many basses that I was starting to fosters myself off. So. My plan was simple.

1. Drink some beers.

2. Open the iPad.

3. Don’t pretend to be deep, be your shallow self and look at things you think look nice.
4. buy it within 60minutes.

I'm not sure if you are new here or are a long time lurker and occasional poster, but, judging from the above, you are going to get along just fine on Basschat.

• Haha 1

Nice bass, congrats. I love the look of them, especially a black ash one (M7 6er) I saw a while back but had neither the pesos nor the need at the time so I held out from even touching it. They're rare here so it helps keep any temptation at bay.

By all accounts and the reviews I've seen of them, it's a fine bass. May you long enjoy it in good health.

• Like 1