Why become a member? ×

Just wondering…

dclaassen

A long time ago, I was known to lug bass, amp, upright bass, and maybe even a tuba around, usually for a pit gig. Everyone has different tastes, but I cannot imagine schlepping an upright around for any type of music genre. Practicing some big band jazz, I was thinking how much easier it is on fret less 5, especially when moving up the neck.

We discuss all the time the ability of modern amp modeling to eliminate the need for our favorite rig. Does this hold for the sound of an upright as well? Is it the look and vibe that keeps upright players going?

I find an upright makes you play in a certain way due to the ergonomics, especially the tight radius of the fingerboard and the string height and spacing. 

You can emulate this on an electric bass but it's never the same. I have a Variax bass which has a very passable upright emulation but it doesn't play like an upright which I think is the main thing.

I can never copy the upright 'bounce' of a fast rockabilly style walking bassline on electric bass... And forget about copying slap. 

Also apart from the playability, and this might be shallow but aren't we entertainers after all, just the physical appearance of an upright makes people smile. It adds a certain look to the band and people always comment on it or want to talk to me about it. 

It's big, it's cumbersome, but totally worth it. 

Maybe if I used public transport then I might look at it differently but as there's none around here I have to drive myself to every gig so it's no hardship to take the big, beautiful beast. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 5

On 18/12/2023 at 17:18, Maude said:

I find an upright makes you play in a certain way due to the ergonomics, especially the tight radius of the fingerboard and the string height and spacing. 

You can emulate this on an electric bass but it's never the same. I have a Variax bass which has a very passable upright emulation but it doesn't play like an upright which I think is the main thing.

I can never copy the upright 'bounce' of a fast rockabilly style walking bassline on electric bass... And forget about copying slap. 

Also apart from the playability, and this might be shallow but aren't we entertainers after all, just the physical appearance of an upright makes people smile. It adds a certain look to the band and people always comment on it or want to talk to me about it. 

It's big, it's cumbersome, but totally worth it. 

Maybe if I used public transport then I might look at it differently but as there's none around here I have to drive myself to every gig so it's no hardship to take the big, beautiful beast. 

Totally agree. I also have an EUB and EB but when I play DB I feel like a "real" bass player and as said above I play differently and play lines that I wouldn't even consider on EB and would not feel right on EUB, hard to explain but that's the way it is.

Except when I am playing with a youth orchestra that needs a few adults to fill out the low end I always use an amp with my DB and just consider hauling all that stuff around to be part of the "double bass experience". At 77 I'm lucky to be in good shape so carrying gear is no problem and I plan to continue as long as I can and I started weekly lessons last year and am really enjoying working with the bow, which of course is one more thing to carry. 😊

• Like 2

I play in a busy rock'n'roll 3-piece. Much of the stuff we play only really sounds 'right' on DB but some of it (the Eddie Cochran stuff, for example) works best on a Precision, so that means I get to swop between them every half-dozen songs or so.

Given a sensible vehicle and Class D amplification I have no problem taking both instruments to every gig, and it really enhances both the fun I get from playing and the entertainment value of the band.

• Like 2