Why become a member? ×

Biker Rally, how much to charge?

mep

8 hours ago, TimR said:

If it's anything like the steam rally we do, it'll be a bunch of blokes talking about engines and drinking beer.

You won't need to fill the Marquee with sound and no one will be dancing. A pub PA will be fine. 

The steam powered motorcycle never really got much of a following.

Over here bikers dance with their partners and if the band is any good the mammaries will appear. The UK Harley Owners Club sounds like the last bit might be off the card but I wouldn't discount the possibility of dancing.

A marquee is essentially outdoors as far as low end is concerned. If the drummer has a good right foot and you have a bass amp that can keep up you will be ok with a vocal PA.

Lots of t crossing and i dotting to get done before you can commit to a price. I wouldn't be too keen to deal with whoever is suggesting all the bands set up their own PA's. Maybe they just need to be steered right or maybe they are an idiot. Hard to tell by email. Better odds going straight back to the committee.

Dear HRCUK Rally Committee, thankyou for your invitation to headline your shindig. We are surprised that you would have all the bands provide their own PA. Perhaps you are not aware of the amount of time that would be dead air while bands set up.

There are many other good reasons multiple band shows have a sound system with engineer running it, from the smallest of festivals to major events.

You really would get much better entertainment value by engaging a local sound provider. Bands will give you much better prices so it may even cost you less in total that way.

Our band will give you a price for showing up and playing 2 hours 9 to 11pm as headline act, Hotel accommodation provided for <bandmember list>, of XXX0 squids. We would bring stage amplifiers and drum set for our exclusive use. Vocal PA to be provided by HRCUK.

Alternatively our band would be happy to provide a pub venue style vocal PA that other bands can plug into and our sound person will operate.

For us to give an accurate quote on that a few details need to be ironed out.

No drums or bass will be put in the PA.

Bands would need to bring their own microphones and microphone leads as these are high wear personal items. Likewise drummers must bring own snare drum and cymbals.

We would provide guitar amps X and Y and the  bass amp which other bands are welcome to use.

Power of XX kVA must be provided for the exclusive use of the stage.

If the other bands are willing to participate under those terms our fee would be an extra XXXX squid. (Make sure there's enough for a new set of drum skins for your drummer in whatever you decide to charge).

I assume your PA has a good HPF on board in case someone wants to plug in piano / synth/ band in box tracks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TimR said:

detail

Wherein the Devil resides.

If the first opener of the email isn't technical enough to realise they are are of their depth then it can go two ways. Either it will be more trouble than it's worth to get the detail sorted or they get turned around by a sharp "Thanks for getting back to us, unfortunately we will be unable to participate unless someone who understands the details can be involved in making arrangements. This is another of the reasons why we suggested you engage a sound provider, someone who can liaise with the bands on technical requirements. Any number of things can go very wrong with putting on a multi band event so the best thing to do is have someone in charge who knows one end of a mic cable from the other".

• Like 1

Let's not get too carried away. I'm not planning on trying to change how a long established event will be run. As my original question, I'm interested in how much to charge. As for the practicalities, if we do it we will camp there for free, take our own PA for our own use. Bass and drums will go through it and it will sound how it sounds.

• Like 1

Hopefully you don't get taught any lessons the hard way.

Not knowing what hours are involved I am guessing the 2 hrs 9 to 11 for headliners at Old Farts MC party. I would run with 1.5x what you charged for the pub party plus travelling expenses and accommodation and meals.

From the sounds of the 300 Squid 6 piece PA toting 50 mile travelling band, they may not pay anything like what you need.

• Like 1

On 30/11/2023 at 14:55, TimR said:

If it's anything like the steam rally we do, it'll be a bunch of blokes talking about engines and drinking beer.

You won't need to fill the Marquee with sound and no one will be dancing. A pub PA will be fine. 

Is that the Stotfold one Tim? We've played that one a few times.

• Like 2