Why become a member? ×

I want a new bass…. Going round in circles

Big J

18 hours ago, ead said:

I want a new bass…. Going round in circles

Probably the singular most dangerous phrase to post on a bass players forum :shok:

Heed this warning. 

Between the two basses you've mentioned, you have it all covered really.

Why not deep dive into some new styles of music, ways of thinking about bass playing and spend time, not money, developing your skills, ear and overall ability? Everyday is a school day, whoever you are!

My advice is to ignore the shiny material things and polish up yourself instead. 

I say this as much to myself as to you, so it is said sincerely with only good intentions.

Have fun!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Heed this warning. 

Between the two basses you've mentioned, you have it all covered really.

Why not deep dive into some new styles of music, ways of thinking about bass playing and spend time, not money, developing your skills, ear and overall ability? Everyday is a school day, whoever you are!

My advice is to ignore the shiny material things and polish up yourself instead. 

I say this as much to myself as to you, so it is said sincerely with only good intentions.

Have fun!

Wise words 👍🏻

you are not wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve looked at a handful over the years. At the minute, I’m not sure I want something that big taking up the corner of a room. I only play casually/ few minutes/day. It would be like having the Christmas tree up all year round… get in the way and bug me.

5 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Why not stretch yourself properly and get an Electric Upright. A nice NS Design would fit the bill or possibly the shorter scale Ibanez.

• Like 1

I nearly bought a S/H one a few years back. It was an early model with the 2 piece Warwick style bridge but it had had the snot beaten out if it - restorable, but the pawn shop it was in were reluctant to let me bring in tools and check action, TR function etc, so I told them to sod off. Since then I've always wanted one and I found this by sheer fluke searching for something else, saw the sale price, slept on it for a day, then bought myself a Christmas present. It will look a little odd in the rack with the SRs and BTB, but hey, so am I.

I did the opposite I started on 5 string Warwick style basses and fairly recently transitioned back towards 4 string Fender style stuff.

It sounds like you want something different to mix things up so I’d definitely  go with the short scale or a fan fret that’s quite radically different for variety. If it doesn’t work out you can always sell it on, especially if you buy 2nd hand. I played a 4 string Dingwall and was blown away by how it played although not super into how they look.

• Like 1