Why become a member? ×

Best cheap headless bass.

Brian18242

On 22/11/2023 at 17:10, TheGreek said:

I would avoid any Hohner with the Select pickups.

I had one in the 80s which I initially thought was good but later realised was rubbish. 

Pickups have low output and limited tonal range.

I always thought the same about the Select J and humbucker pickups, people seem to like them but I thought they were a bit meh. The Select P I had was good though.

There's a Hohner Jack on FaceBook at the moment for £200 in Lincoln, gives you £100 to spend on pickup upgrades.

I liked them in my B2A with the preamp engaged. I didn't care for the passive tone, very dark and muffled IMO. It really came to life when switched to active, with more punch and clarity. I didn't get along with the ergonomics of the bodyless design and the awkward strap button positions (especially the front one, which was behind the 21st fret). I'm tall and have long arms, but it was still quite a stretch. I'm quite partial to my Status basses, the headless design and ergonomic body are perfect for me. 

29 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

A bit off topic but how are you finding the Gnome cab? Also is it the 10 or 12?

It's the 10"/8ohm with tweeter. I like it as a backline/monitor cab for rehearsals. Plenty loud enough for rehearsal and would be ok in a small pub gig. I have the tweeter dial set at 12o'clock and I get a nice sound that cuts through. Live, I either go FOH or use 2x TE 2x10"s which are puncher. 

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2023 at 12:27, Bassassin said:

Anyone buying an Ibanez Axstar or a Washburn Force 42 for £300 or less is committing a mugging.

Yes - the build quality of the Axstar feels closer to a Yamaha BX-1 than to a contemporary cheap Steinberger.