Why become a member? ×

Buddy Whittington - Pete stroud on bass

Funkmaster

I went to see Buddy Whittington last night at Yardbirds in Grimsby.

The bass player was Pete Stroud - formerly of Peter Green's Splinter Group. I really enjoyed hearing him play last night. Very relaxed, effortless but somehow busy style.

He had MarkBass gear - but I've no idea what his fretless bass was. Help me out someone if you know - it sounded great. And there seems to be little about him on google.

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='483808' date='May 9 2009, 04:17 PM']but I've no idea what his fretless bass was. Help me out someone if you know - it sounded great.[/quote]

I met Pete when I bought so some gear off of him through this site. If its the bass Im thinking of, he made it himself - no a bitsa either!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='483821' date='May 9 2009, 04:31 PM']Is this him. very brief shot i know.

[/quote]

yep - that's him. It's odd - I've seen the Splinter Group a couple of times and he never really stood out then. But Buddy was certainly giving him the freedom to do his 'thang' last night. (If indeed you can do 'thangs' in Grimsby.

Oh by the way - the Yardbird - great intimate little venue too. My first visit there.

[quote name='doctorbass' post='483833' date='May 9 2009, 04:49 PM']I met Pete when I bought so some gear off of him through this site. If its the bass Im thinking of, he made it himself - no a bitsa either![/quote]

Yep - it certainly sounded stunning! Is Pete a basschatter?

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='485145' date='May 11 2009, 03:58 PM']One of my favourite bassists. If I could choose a bassist to sound like Pete Stroud would be it.[/quote]

Yeah I thought exactly the same on Friday - but I never will be in a month of Sundays!

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='483845' date='May 9 2009, 05:06 PM']Oh by the way - the Yardbird - great intimate little venue too. My first visit there.[/quote]

And mine came 2 days after you - we did the DocB/Elim show there on Sunday. We were told the B W gig wasn't well attended - is that true? I didn't like to doubt the word of the punters at the Yardbirds because most of them were the size of Chile.

Nice on-stage sound for us - very loud out front I think. it was a good venue to do because of the folk that work there and the facilities we were provided with. The corner stage is a little restrictive though.

I saw Buddy with John Mayall about 3 years ago. I now know who ate all the pies!! The bassist at the time being Hank Van Sickle. Very solid , understated player. Has his own website and myspace if anyone wants to look him up.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='485682' date='May 12 2009, 10:16 AM']And mine came 2 days after you - we did the DocB/Elim show there on Sunday. We were told the B W gig wasn't well attended - is that true? I didn't like to doubt the word of the punters at the Yardbirds because most of them were the size of Chile.

Nice on-stage sound for us - very loud out front I think. it was a good venue to do because of the folk that work there and the facilities we were provided with. The corner stage is a little restrictive though.

I saw Buddy with John Mayall about 3 years ago. I now know who ate all the pies!! The bassist at the time being Hank Van Sickle. Very solid , understated player. Has his own website and myspace if anyone wants to look him up.[/quote]

Hi Dave

Yep the turn out for BW wasn't bad - not packed by any means - maybe 250 people? I found a seat no bother (which is important at my age for a whole nights enjoyment!)

You're right though - you wouldn't want to argue with any of the folk there would you!

Harry's Bar with The Roosters tonight if you're out - and we're doing an unplugged at The Hop on Thursday (and I'll have my upright out for the first time in a long time (for a few tracks only though!)).

Dave

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='485877' date='May 12 2009, 01:18 PM']Harry's Bar with The Roosters tonight if you're out - and we're doing an unplugged at The Hop on Thursday (and I'll have my upright out for the first time in a long time (for a few tracks only though!)).

Dave[/quote]

I'll be at the Hop. Would your fellow Roosters , only really know a couple of them , be horrified if I did a number with the Triumph?

Give you a good laugh if nothing else!!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='486761' date='May 13 2009, 11:26 AM']I'll be at the Hop. Would your fellow Roosters , only really know a couple of them , be horrified if I did a number with the Triumph?

Give you a good laugh if nothing else!![/quote]

Dunno Dave - we can but see on the night!

Here's an idea... When we do 'Walk on the wild side' I'll do the slidy 10th(?) thing and you can do the double bass part!

See you Thursday.