Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle technique advice please

richh

I used to play with a pick / plectrum, but due to an injury, I had to convert to playing without a pick.

I'm trying to work on a 4 bar phrase that is all straight 8th notes, and building up speed with a metronome.  My main focus was my left hand fretting the fingerboard, thinking the right picking hand could take care of itself.  I've eventually realised though, that my right hand may not be consistent.  Basically, in analysing this slowly, I've realised that while I thought I was alternating index / middle fingers, this is not actually the case.

So what I'd like to ask, is whether I should be aiming for strictly alternate right hand fingers, or if it makes sense to sometimes deviate from this?

I feel like if I make a decision on this and spend a lot of time practicing one way, that I'll be embedding this into my technique.  I imagine there is not a right or wrong way to do this, but I'd really appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Anyway, I hope that makes sense?  Thanks for reading and any suggestions!

Now, the simple answer is yes, it does make sense sometimes to deviate from striclty alternating.

But, in my limited experience, it is best to make a decision about what style you want to use at least to start with. This, for me, helps prevent situations where my fingers just get entangled. I cannot "think" about my right hand when I play. I just need to have the patterns automated in my brain.

Now, it seems the two main options if you don't want to mix and match are strictly raking or strictly alternating. With strictly raking you "rake" any time you go to a lower string - but everything else is stricly alternated.

When I was playing as a teenager I was strictly alternating. As I restarted a couple of years ago I discovered raking and I just love it. I love the economy of movement, I get a better, cleaner sound out of it, I can play passages for which in alternating I would not be fast enough.

I imagine the perfect musician would just chose the best technique each time depending on context. But fot me that's too much to think about.

2 hours ago, bassalbert said:

I would recommend to strict alternate fingering. if you master that, then to do a rake if needed is easy. the other way around is not so easy

I found that I was going all swing timing when leading with my index finger. I lead with my middle finger and it’s much more consistent 

20 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I found that I was going all swing timing when leading with my index finger. I lead with my middle finger and it’s much more consistent 

when practicing right hand technique, I always make my students play everything starting with each one. it is normal to have a preferred one. when I find myself starting all with the same one, I practice the other way around and then the secondary becomes primary and the story goes on and on

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 20:18, ezbass said:

Michael League talks about right hand technique from 28:26, although mainly about palm muting, it talks about 2 and 1 finger playing.

Wouh!

That man knows what he is speaking about!

What an incredible insight, all around!

Couldn't agree more with him, on just about everything he says.

And on topic, in relation to the question asked by OP, he is right about the part about not playing too forceful as well.

When I use the regular "traditional" 2 finger plucking I more so stroke the strings, in a slight inward slapping motion, with the outmost tip of my fingers/nails, rather than really striking, plucking or pulling the strings.

This way the notes will sound fuller, as in richer and more full register, and also you don't get fatigue as easily in your fingers when playing fast.

Introducing as third finger though, while not actually allowing to play faster, will take a lot of the strain off your fingers too when playing faster.

Also regarding learning how to incorporate new techniques naturally into your play by far often it is actually lot more effective to just use 2 to 3 X 5 to 10 min daily really focusing on practicing that new technique you want to learn, than forcefully practicing it ½ an hour 3 times a week or whatever, but losing the focus each time 10 minutes in and not really using the remaining 20 minutes effectively, this way you will in far most cases will, depending of course, have it pretty decently down already after a month of doing so. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 3 weeks later...

Each technique has its own sound. If we’re limiting ourselves to 2 fingers index plus middle finger, then you have the options of alternate picking vs racking, free strokes vs rest strokes. I would probably start with rest strokes/raking as it gives you the fullest sound. But I would say practise them all as they all sound different and some technique might suit a musical context more than others. I would also practise palm mute thumb plus index, an essential part of bass playing IMO. One finger (thumb or index) for  playing for simple phrases is also a very useful skill to master, especially for recording (because of the consistency). 

Edited by Valere