Why become a member? ×

1970s Antoria Precision Fujigen with a surprise, £450 - *SOLD*
£450
Benfleet, Essex

Paul S

The last of my long scale basses to get listed.

Here we have a totally awesome 1970s Antoria Precision, made by Fujigen who were producing exceptional quality instruments back then.  This is no exception, totally fantastic bass.  Scruffy black body with lots of dings and scratches although nothing through the paint.  At some point someone has put on a solid black scratchplate which makes it look at bit Roger Waters.  But please don't let that put you off!  😂  The neck is just fabulous.  Warm, aged maple 40mm at the nut but reasonably deep D section.  An absolute perfect fit for my hand.  Antoria on headstock looks to me to be mother of pearl.  New Gotoh GB-10 tuners.  Weighs in at a very reasonable 3.8kg/8.4lbs.

But here is the surprise.  I tried to date the bass using the pickup serial numbers and, ably mentored by Jon @Bassassin discovered that the pickups are, in fact, genuine 1975 Fender pickups.  No wonder it sounds so damned good.  Deep and angry but cutting through in the upper mids.

I could try to maximise the value for me, take out the Fender pickups, stick in some Toneriders or something and make an extra £100 but I honestly can't be bothered.  I flag that up as an option for a buyer, although in this current form this bass is an absolute killer rock machine.

£450 firm, collected from SS7, Benfleet, 20 mins east of J30 on the M25.  Can meet halfway or possiibly deliver for fuel, depending on distance.  And extra £50 will get you a top quality SKB hard case, still with its key!!  Nevertheless I won't courier this so please don't ask.

OK, going to resize my pics...

IMG_20231108_132231.jpg

IMG_20231108_132301.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, Paul S said:

I could try to maximise the value for me, take out the Fender pickups, stick in some Toneriders or something and make an extra £100 but I honestly can't be bothered.  I flag that up as an option for a buyer, although in this current form this bass is an absolute killer rock machine.

Just to clarify this.  I would value the pickup at £250.  The bass without the Fender pickup but with a Tonerider fitted I would value at £350.  That would make £600.  But I would need to buy and have fitted the Tonerider pickup (my hands shake too much to so soldering these days without risking a visit to the local burns unit :D ), which would be iro £50, making the total £100 more than my asking price.  Not £100 for the pickup on its own. 

At the moment I don't want to do this but would point it out as a valid option for someone wanting to buy the bass for the pickup.  Especially if you already had a P pickup hanging around and could do the swap yourself.

Just to throw another angle on this interesting listing, I'm potentially looking for a nice neck for a project bass and assuming this is a standard Fender type fit, this one could fir the bill.

I'm Yorkshire based though so not in a position to collect and part out myself.

I'll stand back and await the sacrilege accusations  😉

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, mikegatward said:

Just to throw another angle on this interesting listing, I'm potentially looking for a nice neck for a project bass and assuming this is a standard Fender type fit, this one could fir the bill.

I'm Yorkshire based though so not in a position to collect and part out myself.

I'll stand back and await the sacrilege accusations  😉

I have a Yamaha pulser Japanese bass. Its neck is very very similar to a 77 mocha fender pbass I’ve played here in central london. 40mm neck with it being nice and deep back to front. 

• Paul S changed the title to 1970s Antoria Precision Fujigen with a surprise, £450 SOLD