Why become a member? ×

IEM Question

vmaxblues

Prior to investing in a H4N Pro, I thought I'd try an old Mic to capture the  live sound.  as we're all in the mixer anyway it's no more hassle than adding another device so I thought why not.   
Worked surprisingly well! 
Tried it again at last weeks rehearsal this time just with vocals in the mixer feed.   Again really surprising benefit.    Re-instates that live feel and lets you pick up the vocal chat off mic.  The ambient Drum sound is really helpful and again is surprisingly "present", especially the kick!  

Just as a reminder ........ the OP was looking for answers concerning whether IEM's might be the solution to helping him hear the vocals, especially as the mix only contains vocals.   I'd say, give an ambient Mic a whirl (plus IEM's) - I don't think you need to invest much in terms of an expensive mic,  I used an old Samson vocal mic (12 years old and picks up everything!).  I guess you'll need a mic stand and that's about it.    

This thread, combined with Saturday's gig has got me thinking.

We've gone totally IEM this year and only abandoned the backline around 6 months ago - so vocals, bass, guitars and keyboard are all going through the PA, but only the bass drum is mic'd, the rest of the kit is generally loud enough for the types of places we play.  FWIW, we're all hearing the same mono mix - Aux 1 from a Yamaha MG20xu desk into a splitter that spits out to several Xvive U4 receivers and a couple of wired feeds (Behringer P2 and the drummer uses a small mixer).

On Saturday, our drummer recorded a few songs from his phone, perched just behind him on his right. The drums sounded pretty good, but obviously, the rest of the mix wasn't there as the PA is in front.

We've mentioned using an ambient mic to compensate for the isolation effect and usefully, one of the guitarists has a boundary mic somewhere (we tried it when we first tried going IEM a few years ago, but abandoned the idea after realising the cheap G4M kit was crap). From the drummer's recordings, I'm thinking sticking it directly behind him would sound quite good mixed into the IEM feed.

I also said to him that those recordings would sound really good if they could somehow be mixed with the IEM feed.

So..., I'm wondering.

With the Zoom recorders, can you use them to send the ambient sound to the desk AND record the IEM feed from the desk simultaneously? Or will it only record what it is hearing from the mics?