Why become a member? ×

More information on this rare Yamaha Attitude Bass

VoodooChild

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing this bass guitar and wonder if some members here can provide some more information. I am interested in:

1. What is this model type called?

2. Is this a legit genuine yamaha bass or is this just somebody throwing parts together?

3. When/where did these get produced?

4. These sound kind of like fenders?

5. Are these basses active or passive?

6. Price of 600 euro seems fair?

Here you can find pictures of the instrument in question: https://imgur.com/a/YXIjfED

As said above, never seen one looking like that before. I’ve copied some of the photos here for simplicity. 
Strangely cant see a serial number anywhere and curious what the small screws on the body are doing? 

If it is an early/ rare/ prototype usually the seller shouts this kind of thing in the advert.  Have you asked the seller any of your questions?

IMG_4146.thumb.webp.4856c8a2527001082fbd818c278b88e1.webpIMG_4147.thumb.webp.df0710ea8f592b61aabcda8fae767c85.webpIMG_4148.thumb.webp.7389f15e6d6fb5d663577d215b01b576.webpIMG_4149.thumb.webp.3015783a176459b26ce306f8fea61229.webpIMG_4150.thumb.webp.a407595e492cbade624313f9280cd908.webpIMG_4151.thumb.webp.72ce77da724636e21a49ae2fcfd6275e.webpIMG_4152.thumb.webp.8ea0b9fecc2cbb34e67e5cc60f12685b.webpIMG_4153.thumb.webp.5142041f9c969ef1c5ea08c733c95658.webp

• Like 2

I owned a 10th Anniversary BS signature Attitude.

Whilst never a student of the design's evolution,  I can contribute these thoughts. 

Right-

Neck attachment

Headstock shape

Basic body shape

The bridge matches the one mine had

It appears to be passive... but EMG are renowned for their active pickups.

Missing or different-

Controls. these seem to be regular VVT. Many Attitudes have VVT, but with pop-up pots to facilitate twinning the pickup outputs and a mid-cut on the neck pickup. 

Pickups. Usually DiMarzio Willpower, comprising a huge humbucker right up against the base of the neck, plus a P in the usual position.  Not the EMG P/J set seen here. 

Tuners. Mine had Gotohs on it and a pukka US Hipshot De-tuner on the E. A great many Attitudes had a De-tuner as standard. 

Nothing wrong with these Schallers, though. 

Jack socket. I'd be expecting two, one for each pickup.  Unless this has been wired as a TRS to allow the separate pickup routing.

No scalloped frets. The upper registers on the D and G strings had scalloped frets on many Attitudes.

Where's the Yamaha logo on the headstock?

In summary, it all looks well made, and from decent bits of timber, but there are just too many discrepancies for me to believe it's a proper Attitude.

It may well be a fine bass. If you can try it out, it may prove to be worth the €600 the vendor is asking for.

Otherwise,  I'd give it a miss, since it really doesn't seem to be what it says it is.

• Like 1

There were some Attitude Specials or Plus models that were PJ with no mudbucker at the neck. I had a 5 string version.

I suspect this might be one of those that has been stripped of paint and refinished and had the pickups changed. The neck joint looks right.

600 seems a bit high though. I can’t remember fully but I think I paid a lot less for the 5 string.

Mine was like this, but with a 3 way instead of the scratch plate knob.

IMG_3003.jpeg

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1