Why become a member? ×

Studio Monitor buzzing!!???

bubinga5

Not really a bass issue but here goes..I have an annoying buzz coming from my monitors when i play bass through them..Anyone know who might be able to look at them? There MAudio monitors and i dont want to send them back and all that hassle!!

I play bass through them, so im not sure if this is the cause...i dont play loud at all, but im not sure if this can damage monitors?

I had a similar think a year or so ago and found that, wait for it, it was the printer on my USB hub that was causing the problem.

This caused a ground loop and when the printer, the speakers and my bass amp were all on at once it all went to hell. The solution was to tidy up the power sockets and move everything onto two 4 way splits.

Like I say, a strange sollution but hopefully it works for you.

G

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='483314' date='May 8 2009, 09:14 PM']I had a similar think a year or so ago and found that, wait for it, it was the printer on my USB hub that was causing the problem.

This caused a ground loop and when the printer, the speakers and my bass amp were all on at once it all went to hell. The solution was to tidy up the power sockets and move everything onto two 4 way splits.

Like I say, a strange sollution but hopefully it works for you.

G[/quote]

+1

i would also tend to think it's a grounding issue, it happens to mine as well sometimes, depending on how i have things connected.

Edited by escholl

[quote name='alexclaber' post='483242' date='May 8 2009, 07:38 PM']The peaks on uncompressed bass can be quite tough on monitors but if you're sensible there shouldn't be a problem. Exactly what sort of buzz?

Alex[/quote]A low frequency buzz..its only coming from one speaker, which worries me!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='485481' date='May 12 2009, 12:13 AM']A low frequency buzz..its only coming from one speaker, which worries me![/quote]

Constant, just when you take your fingers off your strings or just when you play a loud low note? If it's the former two it's probably a ground loop. If it's the latter then you may have upset that woofer in the past.

Try plugging the speaker into a different outlet.

Alex

You've got a stereo setup - try switching left & right - If the buzz is still in the same speaker then it's a problem with this speaker, if the buzz is now in the other monitor it'll be a connection problem. A ground loop or shielding problem within your bass would show in both monitors.

I had a problem that was very similar to yours on my Alesis M1 MkII monitors. One speaker buzzing, the other one ok. I thought I might have blown one of the drivers, though after careful examination, it turned out that the problem was the rubber band covering the mounting edge of the speaker. It was badly glued and simply ripping it off my monitor solved the problem. I didnt even glue it back in place, it was there just for the looks, so I didnt bother.

Check carefully if your monitor has any loose pieces, sometimes its hard to discern between a blown woofer and just a perfectly ok woofer that makes something else vibrate.