Why become a member? ×

Strings for basement model Warwick Alien or other large bodied 32" fretted ABG?

maxr

I just bought a 10 year old Warwick Alien Basic fretted 4 string ABG - all laminates, Fishman pickup. I'm told these come with Warwick Red roundwound strings on, but a previous owner put flatwounds on this one. The acoustic sound is muffled and they feel quite stiff. I suspect these strings don't suit it too well, and they might be choking the sound with higher tension than it's designed for (no signs of body/neck/bridge strain though).  What strings do you find give a good general amplified sound and acceptable acoustic volume on a large body fretted ABG, without too much string noise? Thanks, Max

I'll give my standard answer but I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use them, maybe I'm just weird. 😁

Fender 9120M nylon tapewounds. I've never used other tapewounds but from what folks say I assume they are a flatwound construction under the tape as they seem to be very thuddy, like a doublebass. The fenders are a nylon wrap over a roundwound string so have plenty of zing but absolutely zero finger/fret noise. I have them on my fretted and fretless acoustic basses and they've been on for years and I've found no reason to want to change them. Plenty of acoustic volume (given that it's an acoustic bass) and a lovely amplified tone, lots of bottom end but plenty of clarity and punch. I love the sound of my fretless acoustic amplified. 

They are pricey now but I feel they're worth it. When I bought mine they were about £20 so that shows how long I've been using them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'll give my standard answer but I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use them, maybe I'm just weird. 😁

Fender 9120M nylon tapewounds. I've never used other tapewounds but from what folks say I assume they are a flatwound construction under the tape as they seem to be very thuddy, like a doublebass. The fenders are a nylon wrap over a roundwound string so have plenty of zing but absolutely zero finger/fret noise. I have them on my fretted and fretless acoustic basses and they've been on for years and I've found no reason to want to change them. Plenty of acoustic volume (given that it's an acoustic bass) and a lovely amplified tone, lots of bottom end but plenty of clarity and punch. I love the sound of my fretless acoustic amplified. 

They are pricey now but I feel they're worth it. When I bought mine they were about £20 so that shows how long I've been using them. 

Thanks for this- I’ve often wondered what these may be like.

A quick google shows them available on eBay or Amazon for £34.99 a set, so am tempted to try them.

Does the quite heavy gauge (58/110) feel hard to play? I’m used to 45/100 bronzewounds on my

Washburn AB20, and was hoping they wouldn’t feel stiffer than these.

• Like 1

Yep, tapewounds on my acoustic bass, too.  I have Status Hotwires which are round wound under the tape. Actually, I think all tapewounds are rounds wrapped up rather than flats.  They’re a very light gauge even for tapes and are quite quiet when playing acoustically but that’s fine by me.  Definitely better than the clanking bronze strings it came with.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, casapete said:

Does the quite heavy gauge (58/110) feel hard to play? I’m used to 45/100 bronzewounds on my

Washburn AB20, and was hoping they wouldn’t feel stiffer than these.

Not at all, in my opinion.

I do like heavy strings though and really don't get on with your average 45-100 rounds, especially when gigging when the old adrenaline kicks in. I had a set on my Yamaha BEX4 but took them off in the end as I was using it as a gig back up and they were too slack feeling for me. I'd say they'd probably be a fair match to an average 45-100 bronze string, possibly lighter feeling. They are quite slippery which I like, they have a very glossy wrap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maude gave my answer, nylon tapewounds were for me the best strings for acoustic bass. Mine came with random rounds, I bought some Ernie Ball bronze acoustic strings and really disliked them, scratchy finger noise was the biggest issue with them. Had an old set of nylon tapewounds and never looked back. No idea what gauge they are but I generally don’t use very heavy gauge strings. 
If it appeals to you there may well be a set for sale in the Accessories forum. 

Edited by Dazed
  • Like 1