Why become a member? ×

I've lost count of the amount of time I've been asked whether it's ok to use open strings on the bass guitar. It's a fair question  though as there are lots of urban myths floating around about this topic.

The open E-string is obviously an open string that we can’t do without on a 4-string but many bassists won’t use the other open strings. 

Some players favour open strings more than others but there are situations where they are useful to help with fingering patterns and for certain effect.

So this week I've made a video to discuss open strings in depth.

Find out more in my latest YouTube lesson. 

44 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I've always used open strings when it's suited what I'm doing, why ever not? 

Totally agree @Waddo Soqable but judging by the questions I get asked about using open strings it was worth making a video! There’s a lot of misinformation out there so it’s confusing for inexperienced players. 

• Like 1

I often try not to use open strings in case I have occasion to play a song in a different key so it's less of a pain to figure out the fingering, and sometimes because the tone is nicer, but it's sometimes nice to use open strings where to not would be awkward.

Edited by asingardenof
fixed typo
  • Like 2

On 29/10/2023 at 00:28, asingardenof said:

I often try not to use open strings in case I have occasion to play a song in a different key so it's less of a pain to figure out the fingering, and sometimes because the tone is nicer, but it's sometimes nice to use open strings where to not would be awkward.

Yes, open strings do make transposing a little harder!