Why become a member? ×

Do you find your playing limited by your tastes?

Barking Spiders

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Try looking closely on the expression of the smilies and what they actually do, then try to copy that expression on your own face and take a look in the mirror.

I am genuinely not saying this to be a jerk, I just assume that I can't be the only one who find your use/interpretation of smilies counter intuitive to what they actually visually seem to express, and therefor potentially misunderstands your intention with what you write.

Generally used to poke or troll people while seeming innocuous. Generally best not replying to if in any doubt. 

I have very rarely heard any band cover the original exactly. Most modern songs are overdubbed and have auxiliary instruments that don't appear in the band line up. Certainly not even the original artists play it like it is on the record. 

Every band has to make allowances with their arrangement for instrumentation and talent.

If you turn up to a rehearsal having learned a tune note for note, then you're more prepared to make changes to allow for what the others are able to play and what sounds good.

That's being creative and we all have to be able to do that, anyone who can't will rapidly become very disillusioned with any band they're in when X isn't playing Y exactly as they're expecting and they can't make their bass line fit.

The audience will not notice if you have spent the appropriate time on your arrangement and made suitable adjustments, they will notice if everyone is just playing their parts as per the record, because they just won't work live.

You may think your band is doing this, but they really aren't.

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2023 at 10:21, Barking Spiders said:

I'm only a hobbyist so it's never been my aim to become proficient across a wide range of genres. I've really only stuck to the styles of playing in genres I enjoy listening to i.e funk, Stax, disco, 80s post punk, Dub and House. I've learned to play, not by practising scales etc, but by learning basslines from songs. Put me in a band playing metal, rock, country, jazz, opera and I'm lost. 

I dont hink its much of a loss because I think you have to like a genre to be good at it beyond a certain level otherwise how are you able to judge what is a great line vs merely a good one ? - music (yes even jazz) is about taste not formulas telling you what notes to play so if you dont like a genre how can you apply taste to your playing ?. Ive been in a couple of blues bands for example but am very "meh" about the genre so I could never be a great blue bass player, merely a competent one.

Edited by bassman7755

15 hours ago, Paul S said:

Pretty crass thing to say.  He wasn't talking about 'your' mum, it was a figurative term of speech.  A lot of people on this forum aren't going to have mums for various reasons yet you have to try to weaponise it.  For a man with a history of low scoring posts I do believe you have set the bar even lower.  Well done.

He's just a snivelling little troll.