Why become a member? ×

From feast to famine…

Jakester

I am currently reeling a little, because for the first time in about 30 years I find myself not in a band! I play both bass and drums, and drums is my main instrument, so I’ve been in a band as the drummer ever since I was a kid. 

I was feeling a little weird because I was in a strange hiatus of gigs, but that has just progressed to every band I’ve been a member of suddenly imploding. 

My rock covers band had just gone through about its fifth change in singer in as many years, and after only our second gig, the new singer has cut off all ties. None of us can be bothered to go through the whole audition/rehearse with yet another singist (at least this side of Xmas) so that’s gone for now. 

The funk/soul/wedding band I joined in the summer has been struggling due to the guitarist taking some time off due to family bereavement- and now the singer has just flounced, citing a lack of commitment from everyone else. 

The jazz jam band I put together died, and the subsequent one I needed up playing in just did endless swing standards (I hate playing Summertime, particularly when it’s mid-winter) and it didn’t pay (which is how I usually justify my dislike of playing the same old stuff all the time), so I’ve quit that. 

A few months back I ended up playing every night of the week with two gigs on both days of the weekend! It nearly killed me, but I’ve gone from that to nothing band related at all in the near future. 

I do still play bass and upright in an orchestra, but our next gig isn’t until December - so I think October might be the first month in years I haven’t had a gig. Weird. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2