Why become a member? ×

Flea @ Reading Festival

stingrayfan

Claypool's timing seems OK, but his intonation on fretless absolutely [i]sucks[/i]. I've never understood the fuss about this guy. You want to hear off the wall fretless playing? Go check out some of Mick Karn's work.
Sorry, a bit off topic but I had to get that off my chest.

[quote name='The Funk' post='51137' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:46 AM']Really?

Have you ever listened to...
Oh, nevermind.[/quote]

Boo you, Mr Funk.

I also wrote "I don't like the music of the chilli peppers" and "they make a sound I don't like". I don't like them. I don't like their music. I don't like listening to them. If you read my post you would have noticed that I was very careful not to be disparaging about them at all, except to say that I don't like their music. Which (if I remember correctly) is an opinion I am entitled to. Your reply was a cheap shot. Boo you.

[quote name='JPJ' post='51506' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:52 PM']Thats what I like about them, live, there is really experimentation within the successful formula to the point where you can almost feel the edge, like if they go any further they'll fall off and make complete arses of themselves. I struggle to think of any other established rock acts who step so far outside of the comfort zone every gig?

Any of us who play live know what its like when you are right on it. I don't mean tighter than a gnats chuff on it, I mean sloppy tight when its musical and big big sounding. I'm making a complete mess of trying to describe it, but I played a gig about six months ago when we were like that and people still talk about that gig today, like it was something special. We knew it on stage, but somehow the audience knew it as well, it was special, and it was spontaneous. RHCP seem to be able to produce that atmosphere in every (televised) live show that ive seen.[/quote]

+1 and you also need to bare in mind that they have been playing alot of these songs for a very long time and trying to keep that fresh each gig without going stale is gonna be tough, to keep that energy up and passion to play each song (no matter how times you have played it before) is very tough.

BSSM was a mile stone for me playing wise, once i started to get that album down i improved alot and thats all thanks to Flea. his onstage pressence is infectious and that gets the mood up.

i didn't think his playing was over the top at all, people go to see a live show and thats what they get, the audience are there for a show not a display in technical accuracy, and hell i struggle to walk around while playing let alone bounce around like a flubber while playing.

JPJ i know exactly what you mean, we had it once, we weren't even going to play the song, we had dropped it from the second set, but just as we finished our last song it kind of felt right and we all knew it, the drummer started the intro and we went into a 15minute jam of wipeout (yeah i know but it worked) and the audience for once went for it too. it wasnt technically tight but everything worked and was more about the feel. The chilli's seem to be able to do that every time.

oh and how many here can claim to be as good as flea? not many i imagine (that includes me BTW)

[quote name='Marcus' post='50788' date='Aug 26 2007, 08:49 AM']They get really P*ssed when there's the slightest issue with stage sound, and have a history of hating festival gigs cos their sound check precedure is (usually) compromised to some degree.[/quote]

it's that "production line" where they have to set up on risers off stage and do the "sound check" there off stage...

the stage techs only get a few minutes between while the compere is talking to actually lay out the kit on stage... too easy to forget a switch or cable in an effects chain in the rush to get things ready...

Now I'm not sure if my ears were out of tune, but listening to them on the highlights of Reading this weekend, I have to say the Chilli's were absolutely atrocious. They were very flat and lifeless, Antony's voice has completely gone (could he ever sing live?) and to top it all off they had someone with a floppy fringe skulking at the back of the stage playing guitar.

I aint a big fan of theirs, but I appreciate what they have done for music and I also appreciate why they have so many fans, but come on, they were awful at Reading!

[quote name='The Funk' post='51584' date='Aug 28 2007, 10:07 AM']I was just kidding. I was going to try to "convert you" but what's the point? You've already said you don't like their music which is fair enough.[/quote]

Sure thing. Sorry about the warmer-than-necessary reply. You caught me before my humanising morning coffee. Boo me.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='51537' date='Aug 28 2007, 07:35 AM']Flea played bass on the first Mars Volta album, De-loused in the Comatorium. Great playing and tone and some nice flurries.[/quote]

IMO his work on that album is by far the best stuff he's ever done. You can really hear him working with Jon Theodore (drummer) to keep the pace of the album thumping away yet he sits right back in the mix with some very tasteful lines on the mellower tracks. For fans of Flea this album is really worth a listen, it shows the other places that he can go with his playing. Don't expect it to sound anything like his work in the chilli's though, it couldn't really be any different if he tried.

[quote name='Rich' post='51540' date='Aug 28 2007, 07:46 AM']Claypool's timing seems OK, but his intonation on fretless absolutely [i]sucks[/i]. I've never understood the fuss about this guy. You want to hear off the wall fretless playing? Go check out some of Mick Karn's work.
Sorry, a bit off topic but I had to get that off my chest.[/quote]

His intonation is way off what you'd expect to hear, but it's always way off in the same place, almost like he's choosing not to hit it right on the note. I think it just adds to the weird factor in primus. It's often those odd notes that he plays that set him apart from other players because he always plays it with 100% conviction.

Edited by thumbo