Why become a member? ×

Would this work as a live rig…?

Aygotaygo

After much deliberation on what amp/head/cab I would need for gigging - thanks to all who chipped in on my other thread - I’ve thrown another spanner into my own works.

I was wondering if using a modelling unit, like the new Zoom B2Four, with a single active PA speaker would be useable.

in theory I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, but in practice I’m sure there’d be issues.

grateful for the views of anyone who might have used a similar setup.

Thanks!

Active speakers are a great choice, and have the advantages of generally better dispersion; DSP for speaker protection and crossover; and convenient form factor (they can be stood upright or be tilted back).

One question is which size to get i.e. how loud you are.  I recall your other thread where you said you play in two bands: a function band, and a quiet Americana-type band.  I play in a 10-piece (sometimes larger) function band and I use a QSC CP12 active speaker.  We generally have full PA, so the active speaker is for the stage sound - but occasionally we don't and so on those occasions I will use the active speaker as backline.  I've used smaller/quieter and larger/louder active speakers over the years, but the QSC CP12 is what I've settled on, as it goes more than loud enough, and sounds good.  It is very manageable at 13.7kg and a footprint of 35 x 32cm.  QSC will also give you a six-year warranty.

Brands other than QSC which I've used and would highly recommend are RCF, Yamaha, and FBT.

I've used Zoom B1 Four, MS60B, and B3 in the past, plugged straight into active speakers with no issues.  It is just as simple as you are imagining it could be.

If in the future your tonal goals or tastes change, just swap out the Zoom for another pedal - much easier and cheaper than swapping bass amps and cabs around.

Thanks for your comments, really appreciate it. It sounds like it could well be the best option for me, and I actually have a Zoom B1 Four at the moment and was thinking of upgrading to the B 2 Four for the DI out, but that probably isn’t necessary.

it’s such a simple, elegant solution 🙂

I've used exactly your proposed set up. It works absolutely fine. The only consideration is that you get what you pay for and that bass guitar is fairly demanding on the bass driver so a single 10" cab is not probably not going to be able to fill a large room with bass. The really cheap brands will almost always compromise on the bass driver so sticking to the brands mentioned by @jrixn1 and going for a 12" or larger unit is probably advisable depending upon what style of music you intend playing.

If you search for FRFR you'll uncover a lot of previous discussion of using a PA cab for bass and an increasing no of us are doing it