Why become a member? ×

The End of a Beautiful Thing?

Doctor J

Bandcamp have been taken over by Songtradr. Can't say I've ever heard of the latter, but I hope it's not the start of a disintegration of the great service they provided.

Songtradr, a music licensing platform and marketplace company supporting artists, labels and publishers, and Epic Games, a leading interactive entertainment company and provider of 3D engine technology, announced today that Songtradr is acquiring Bandcamp. Songtradr will continue to operate Bandcamp as a marketplace and music community with an artist-first revenue share.

Bandcamp is an online music store and community with over five million artists and labels where fans can discover, connect with, and directly support the artists they love. This acquisition will help Bandcamp continue to grow within a music-first company and enable Songtradr to expand its capabilities to support the artist community.

Songtradr will also offer Bandcampartists the ability and choice to have their music licensed to all forms of media including content creators, game and app developers and brands. This will enable artists to continue to own and control their music rights, and increase their earning capacity from Songtradr's global licensing network.

Epic is exploring ways to partner with Songtradr to build an inventory of music where artists can opt in to have their music licensed for use in Epic's ecosystem. Epic will continue to collaborate with Bandcamp on projects like Fortnite Radio and is investing in Songtradr to support Bandcamp's successful integration into Songtradr.

"The acquisition of Bandcamp will help Songtradr continue to grow its suite of services for artists. I'm a passionate musician myself, and artistry and creativity have always been at the heart of Songtradr. Bandcamp will join a team of music industry veterans and artists who have deep expertise in music licensing, composition, rights management, and distribution," said Paul Wiltshire, CEO of Songtradr.

"Songtradr shares Epic and Bandcamp's values around ensuring artists are fairly compensated for their work," said Steve Allison, vice president and general manager, store at Epic Games. "Bringing Bandcamp to Songtradr will make it easier for independent artists to connect with creators and developers looking to license their music and enable Epic to focus on its core metaverse, games, and tools efforts."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It may be a good thing.

The press release implies you'll be able to put your music forward for sync opportunities, but how this would work in reality is beyond me.

I like bandcamp a great deal, but the way users engage with it is changing. As my sales dwindle, my complete plays increase massively, so it seems more people are using it as a streaming service.

On 29/09/2023 at 00:15, Doctor J said:

Bandcamp have been taken over by Songtradr. Can't say I've ever heard of the latter, but I hope it's not the start of a disintegration of the great service they provided.

Songtradr, a music licensing platform and marketplace company supporting artists, labels and publishers, and Epic Games, a leading interactive entertainment company and provider of 3D engine technology, announced today that Songtradr is acquiring Bandcamp. Songtradr will continue to operate Bandcamp as a marketplace and music community with an artist-first revenue share.

Bandcamp is an online music store and community with over five million artists and labels where fans can discover, connect with, and directly support the artists they love. This acquisition will help Bandcamp continue to grow within a music-first company and enable Songtradr to expand its capabilities to support the artist community.

Songtradr will also offer Bandcampartists the ability and choice to have their music licensed to all forms of media including content creators, game and app developers and brands. This will enable artists to continue to own and control their music rights, and increase their earning capacity from Songtradr's global licensing network.

Epic is exploring ways to partner with Songtradr to build an inventory of music where artists can opt in to have their music licensed for use in Epic's ecosystem. Epic will continue to collaborate with Bandcamp on projects like Fortnite Radio and is investing in Songtradr to support Bandcamp's successful integration into Songtradr.

"The acquisition of Bandcamp will help Songtradr continue to grow its suite of services for artists. I'm a passionate musician myself, and artistry and creativity have always been at the heart of Songtradr. Bandcamp will join a team of music industry veterans and artists who have deep expertise in music licensing, composition, rights management, and distribution," said Paul Wiltshire, CEO of Songtradr.

"Songtradr shares Epic and Bandcamp's values around ensuring artists are fairly compensated for their work," said Steve Allison, vice president and general manager, store at Epic Games. "Bringing Bandcamp to Songtradr will make it easier for independent artists to connect with creators and developers looking to license their music and enable Epic to focus on its core metaverse, games, and tools efforts."

The Commonwealth Games have long been a symbol of unity and friendly competition among nations across the globe. These multi-sport events showcase the incredible talents of athletes from diverse backgrounds, fostering a sense of camaraderie and mutual respect. As with any major international sporting event, there's often significant interest from various stakeholders, including the gaming industry. It's not uncommon for UK bookmakers online https://online-bookmakers.com/ to offer a wide array of betting options during such events, allowing enthusiasts to engage with the games in a different way. While opinions on sports betting vary, it's important to ensure that such activities are conducted responsibly, with a focus on the spirit of fair play that the Commonwealth Games embody.

Thanks for the information!

Edited by wewasebal

On 28/09/2023 at 23:09, Woodwind said:

It may be a good thing.

The press release implies you'll be able to put your music forward for sync opportunities, but how this would work in reality is beyond me.

I like bandcamp a great deal, but the way users engage with it is changing. As my sales dwindle, my complete plays increase massively, so it seems more people are using it as a streaming service.

I use it as a pay per album streaming service, could download the albums I've bought, but never have.

Hopefully this new take-over, after the Epic one won't have any issues but I may need to re-evaluate the not downloading if starts going wrong

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday the sale to Songtradr was finalised and half the staff at Bandcamp were laid off.

I'm now looking at options for downloading and storing my library - American labour laws suck and capitalism ruins everything.

20231017_061749.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 17/10/2023 at 06:18, Graham said:

I'm now looking at options for downloading and storing my library - American labour laws suck and capitalism ruins everything.

I suspect some of the laid off employees may start their own version of Bandcamp in time. 

We'll see whether it (if and when) or any of the existing alternatives (I don't know of any) provide an adequate new home to bandcamp.

1 hour ago, Woodwind said:

I suspect some of the laid off employees may start their own version of Bandcamp in time. 

We'll see whether it (if and when) or any of the existing alternatives (I don't know of any) provide an adequate new home to bandcamp.

I've been hearing about one in development called Ampwall, early days yet though

• Like 1