Why become a member? ×

NPD - Demonfx content (trigger warning)

thisisswanbon

So this has just arrived... seen alot of noise about these, but not many have actually tried them!

Those that have tried them suggest you wouldn't tell the difference in a blind test, but others suggest that the circuits are different and can't be the same....

Anyways, I present the Demonfx Call76 compact bass!

Won't be able to plug in until tonight, but fit and finish impressions are confused... I've had the original Origin Effects unit, and this is in no way competition to the original. It weighs less than some micro pedals, the metal has ever so slight burs on the edges, the switch is awful, the knobs feel cheap... but it was just over 50 quid brand new delivered in 3 days, so none of that REALLY matters!

Service from affordaboard-pedals.co.uk (thanks for the heads up @stewblack) was brilliant and highly recommended!

Sound test to follow...

20230925_111640.thumb.jpg.97e45b7c1335fd47d5292a221acea30c.jpg

Yeah I did notice that!  Really bizarre design decision (or afterthought). I know what they're trying to achieve, but for the sake of putting this OUTSIDE of the pedal, they'd have given themselves a lot less grief... 

In honesty though, I didn't find the metering on the origin effects unit all that useful... and I've used more compressors without it than with, so I'm not overly put off 

1 hour ago, thisisswanbon said:

Yeah I did notice that!  Really bizarre design decision (or afterthought). I know what they're trying to achieve, but for the sake of putting this OUTSIDE of the pedal, they'd have given themselves a lot less grief... 

In honesty though, I didn't find the metering on the origin effects unit all that useful... and I've used more compressors without it than with, so I'm not overly put off 

I imagine copying a schamatic without knowing what it's doing? 

So after having a play around with this through headphones, it definitely does the cali76 thing pretty well!

In honesty though I think there's an element of listening with my eyes... I just remember my Origin Effects unit sounding a bit "better" but I can't put my finger on how or why. I honestly think it's a mental thing of "it's a clone, and the fit and finish is no where near, so it can't be that close".

In reality though, I have no idea how they've made a compressor sound as good as this for 50 quid! If I take my cali76 head off then it genuinely is just a great compressor!