Why become a member? ×

Yet another pick question...to rest or not to rest??

Jamesemt

So I've recently come back to playing after 10 years off.

I played 99% of the time fingerstyle as I couldn't get comfortable with a pick, (despite being a guitarist) so coming back to it,  I've been playing solely with a pick.

I'm playing some aggressive pop-punk Green Day and have developed a blister on my picking hand ring finger outside.

What is the accepted best way to play with a pick? Anchor or no anchor?

On the guitar I developed a technique where I anchored near the middle pickup to help with muting but that wouldn't work here.

On a side note, picking stamina seems to be a thing 😄 On the guitar I used to play softly as it stopped me tensing up and I could play faster, but I've noticed with the Green Day stuff I'm really digging in and I'm thrashing the crap out of the bass. Is this a bad habit i need to stop now? Talking about my playing and not Green Day 🤣

I used to hit the strings quite hard with a plectrum owing to me not having an amp to practice with. I anchored my palm/wrist on the body and used a sweatband there to stop blisters.

Have started playing with a lighter pick and turning up whatever I am practicing with now. I have also found I like a heavily compressed sound, the attack is maybe what I was after rather than volume.

2 minutes ago, Lee77 said:

I used to hit the strings quite hard with a plectrum owing to me not having an amp to practice with. I anchored my palm/wrist on the body and used a sweatband there to stop blisters.

Have started playing with a lighter pick and turning up whatever I am practicing with now. I have also found I like a heavily compressed sound, the attack is maybe what I was after rather than volume.

Yeah I think you may be onto something there