Why become a member? ×

New bass came with non working pickup…

Dallas

I just wanted to ask for some advice on an issue I’ve stumbled into. 
purchased a new bass in July. When it arrived I plugged it in and found that the bridge pickup was dead. I also found a nick/burr/mark in the first fret. I informed the retailer of the issue and sent it back to be fixed.
It has been away just short of 5 weeks and I have been assured it is in working order. Won’t have it in my hands until tomorrow.
Obviously I aren’t happy to receive it in the condition I did and want to go down the route of a partial refund- if it is all in perfect order as it should be.  
All I want to know is if anyone else has had this kind of issue and gone down the route of partial refund. 
Look forward to hearing from you!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dallas said:

I just wanted to ask for some advice on an issue I’ve stumbled into. 
purchased a new bass in July. When it arrived I plugged it in and found that the bridge pickup was dead. I also found a nick/burr/mark in the first fret. I informed the retailer of the issue and sent it back to be fixed.
It has been away just short of 5 weeks and I have been assured it is in working order. Won’t have it in my hands until tomorrow.
Obviously I aren’t happy to receive it in the condition I did and want to go down the route of a partial refund- if it is all in perfect order as it should be.  
All I want to know is if anyone else has had this kind of issue and gone down the route of partial refund. 
Look forward to hearing from you!

What bass is it? If it was purchased new could they not replace it? You should be within your rights to request that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dallas said:

It’s a Schecter sls evil twin. They said they couldn’t replace it. Not sure why, maybe they just don’t deal with Schecter anymore. It was cheaper than other places by 50-70 quid. Wasn’t labelled as b-grade or anything either. 

Hmm... I wouldn't be happy with that. Personally I'd get a refund and spend another £50 elsewhere in the knowledge that you'll get an instrument in the expected condition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dallas said:

It’s a Schecter sls evil twin. They said they couldn’t replace it. Not sure why, maybe they just don’t deal with Schecter anymore. It was cheaper than other places by 50-70 quid. Wasn’t labelled as b-grade or anything either. 

did you buy it direct or from a retailer?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Hmm... I wouldn't be happy with that. Personally I'd get a refund and spend another £50 elsewhere in the knowledge that you'll get an instrument in the expected condition.

Given the bass came with a card in it stating it had been inspected- covering electronics, set up etc I feel there is a good reason to stand my ground with them. If it comes to it, yes I’d just get a refund, however if it goes back it’s likely to be sold as bgrade for a fair whack less

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Responsibility is completely on them. They have to provide like for like or they foot the bill for the difference. I ask for a full refund personally. Tell them you'll name and shame them on Bass Chat

Does dropping the bass chat bomb work??! I know I’m probably going to have a bit of a battle on my hands. As I say I won’t get it back until tomorrow. I’m pretty convinced the pickup will be ok as it has been replaced. The fret is my biggest worry. They sent it off somewhere else to be fixed due to the pickup being totally dead. They said that the other place couldn’t find any issue with the fret… bare in mind I could feel it when playing and could see a black line (tiny) on the fret, there was clearly something wrong. If that isn’t fixed then it’s defo going back for full refund. I’ve never run into an issue like that before (the fret) but I can only see 2 ways it will have been fixed- new fret or buffed. If it’s buffed then it’s had some life taken out of it and it might be lower than the others

• Like 1

You might want to look up the consumer rights act but I don't think you have a legal right to a refund. You have a right to a replacement or repair and you can only deal with the business you bought it from, not the manufacturer or importer etc.

I went through it all a couple years ago for a useless laptop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

You might want to look up the consumer rights act but I don't think you have a legal right to a refund. You have a right to a replacement or repair and you can only deal with the business you bought it from, not the manufacturer or importer etc.

I went through it all a couple years ago for a useless laptop.

Assuming the bass was ordered unseen...

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 governs businesses selling goods or services at a distance and under the Act, a business must ensure:
  • Goods are as described.
  • Goods are fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.
  • That if goods are faulty, the business must give a full refund up to 30 days after the item was purchased.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ordered online, there's a right to a full refund with no reason being given up to 14 days. Then during the first six months, if there's a fault which can't be repaired and the item can't be replaced, there's a right to a full refund. So if it's returned in perfect working order, there's no right of refund.

• Like 3