Why become a member? ×

Hondo 2 D string too low!

Jamesemt

I've just bought a Hondo 2 Sd Curlee style bass off ebay and the D string is too low and frets out half way up the neck. The other strings are fine. The string visibly looks too low. Looking at the bridge, I can't adjust the individual saddle heights.  I'm reluctant to raise the entire treble side of the bridge as happy with the G height. Is this a known issue with this style of bridge? Am I just going to have to compromise? 

Could it be G string nut height? 

20230910_134359.jpg

20230910_134413.jpg

Edited by Jamesemt

23 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

there's youtube tutorials on how to set up a 3 point bridges, one thought I've just had is have you checked to see whether somebody has mixed up the saddles? so say, the E string saddle is in the D strings place

Ah I never thought about that. I suppose it's possible. I think I need to take the strings off and have a look. 

Saddles in the wrong order - they often have numbers on them to show which order they should be in.  In the case of my Epiphone Jack Casady, they're numbered

G = 1

D = 2

A = 3

E = 4

And they're in height order, A is the highest, E should be lower than A but slightly higher than D and G should be the lowest.

• Like 2

On 10/09/2023 at 23:46, neepheid said:

Saddles in the wrong order - they often have numbers on them to show which order they should be in.  In the case of my Epiphone Jack Casady, they're numbered

G = 1

D = 2

A = 3

E = 4

And they're in height order, A is the highest, E should be lower than A but slightly higher than D and G should be the lowest.

I feel like I should probably add that this is so to partially follow the radius of the fretboard but while also accounting for the fact that thinner strings compared to thicker strings of about the same tension will require less space to vibrate and therefor making adjusting them for lower action possible.

This goes for when adjusting bridges with individual height adjustment for each string too, that is that ideally the strings should form an arc of ever so slightly lower radius (more curve) than the fretboard, but tilting slightly downwards towards the high G string.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1