Why become a member? ×

Converting Trace Elliot AH500X to 220V help

ValleyArts

On 03/09/2023 at 09:32, ValleyArts said:

Hi everyone I have a Trace Elliot AH500X Series 6, it's 110V, is there a way I can convert it to 220V? I know I can use a step-down transformer but I'd like to convert it internally if possible.

Thanks

Hi

The service manual for the Series 6 shows a Mains transformer with two 0-100-120V primaries

This suggests that the primaries are joined in series for (nominal) 240V markets and in parallel for 110/120V markets

Definitely worth asking a friendly & reliable tech to check the Xfr and see if this applies to your rig, 'cause it's likely to be a simple re-configure & test job they can do for you !  (ie. no new parts required)

HTH

TE-AH500X-V6-PSU.thumb.png.aaef25ae20f2a98ac315e69ba58b9577.png

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 3

The Series 6 amps had multiple primaries and were normally torodial type transformers. @BassBunny metioned Ashdown as a potential route and I'd agree here. For example, I recall reading some time in the past that some Ashdown export models as well as being set for 120V also had slightly different transformer ratings from UK bound versions so simply converting a 120-0-120 primary to work as a single 240V primary ins't always an ideal solution. Ashdown may be a good point of contact as I'm sure they could recommend or perhaps even fit a suitable replacement transformer to power a 500 watt amp. Basically rather than converting your exisitng transformer, fitting a modern replacement spec'd for UK mains might be a worthwhile consideration.