Why become a member? ×

FFR Cabs

beastie

There are many good options and so it depends on the following...

What is the genre and volume level of your band?  What rig do you currently use?

Is this powered cab just for stage monitoring (i.e. the bass is going through the PA) or do you need to fill the room?  If you need to fill the room, what capacity venues do you play?

Do you have a max price in mind?

Do you care how much it weighs - would it make a difference if it was 15kg vs 20kg?

Hi Jrnxn1

thanks for the questions raised 

I play in 2 very different bands 

one being quite loud new wave old school punk playing pubs small clubs and the odd festival

The 2nd is a weeding corporate band 

both bands are Di into PA stage monitoring is the main use going forward some times we use in ears depending on venue for the weeding Band 

Sometimes the punk band go straight from amps so I need to fill the room 

The rigs I have at the moment are as follows 

Ampeg Svt all valve head /Svt Pro7 4x10 / 8x10

EBS HD350 1x 15 with a  pro line cab 

genz Benz shuttle 9.2 and a fearless Greenboy 1x12 

I have tried the Headrush 1x12 2000watt cab which was ok but l it’s just not the same or anywhere near any of my full rigs or cabs in Quality of sound which is very important 

Price range open minded 

Weight of FFR is important but 20 kg is still ok But must be powerd

I have an RCF745. These days it's used mainly for rehearsals and the occasional gig where the foldback is strictly for vocals only - everywhere else the supplied foldback is more than adequate for mine and the rest of the bands needs. On the two occasions I have needed it to supply bass guitar for the whole venue it coped much better than my previous very big, heavy and expensive conventional rig. Also because of the much better dispersion characteristics I only had to be slightly louder than I would use for on-stage monitoring, instead of so loud I could barely hear the rest of the band.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, beastie said:

genz Benz shuttle 9.2 and a fearless Greenboy 1x12

Ok great - as a reference point, I previously had a Shuttle 9.2 with a Big Baby 2, and when I moved to powered speakers I was very happy with an RCF 732-A (which is a 12" speaker) - it was just as good in terms of sound quality and volume level.  Can handle a 5-string bass no problem.  If anything, it was overkill for the 10-piece wedding and function band I'm in, and I ended up getting something smaller and lighter (currently using a QSC CP12).

If on the other hand you need louder, their 15" models are the 735-A and 745-A, as recommended above.

• Like 1

The RCFs have just one input.  If I want other instruments, I take a monitor feed from our mixer - depends what mixer you have though (if it has enough monitor channels).

Or for more input and routing options built into the powered speaker itself, I'd look at the QSC K12 or Yamaha DXR12.