Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day #1 - Washburn XB925

bass_dinger

For a long time I have been looking for a Washburn XB925, as an upgrade to my existing Washburn pair of Washburn XB500s (the first a green '99 with twin humbuckers and a stuck truss rod ; the second a natural finish '94 that I bought while the truss rod on the green one was being fettled).

The 500 series was made in Korea,  with the XB925 custom made in the USA. 

The XB925 rarely comes up in Europe, although there are plenty in the USA. 

However, back in June, two appeared for sale on a Facebook group for Washburn basses, from a chap in Hungary. 

One was intact, with a zebrawood cap, and two Bartolini pickups. 

So, I bought it!

The neck feels very thick and the sound is huge - the low B is deep and rich enough to make the Ashdown 12" bass cab fart.  The neck feels asymmetric too - thinner on the treble side?

It feels like the difference between a small hatchback, and an estate - more solid, more presence. 

I am pleased with it, very pleased. 

16924399558405645798404348531001.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

IMG_4434.thumb.jpeg.31621cc65b3c2e768070fcdfdc3989b1.jpeg

This one, 928 🤤

@AndyTravis, is this your bass, or an image that you found?

Washburn offered a "denim blue" on a single humbucker pickup XB900, but I am guessing that this is a custom colour.  Actually, custom everything! 

The control layout seems to be standard, however.  Active/ passive mini toggle,  volume, bass, treble and midrange, and a panpot? 

13 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

@AndyTravis, is this your bass, or an image that you found?

Washburn offered a "denim blue" on a single humbucker pickup XB900, but I am guessing that this is a custom colour.  Actually, custom everything! 

The control layout seems to be standard, however.  Active/ passive mini toggle,  volume, bass, treble and midrange, and a panpot? 

Image I’ve found - this blue burst was used in lots of literature for these basses.

not sure many were made 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Image I’ve found - this blue burst was used in lots of literature for these basses.

not sure many were made 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am told that this was a custom order, and not a production model.

If we have a serial number, we may be able to find more information  - who ordered it,  when,  and even why!

• Like 1