Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 70's V6 2 x 15 bass cab, plus a couple of Ampeg B25 cabs.
£199
West Sussex

Chimike

So now, Some late 60's, early 70's Ampeg 2 x 15 cabs.

First is my V6 cab. Ampeg built these cabs to go with their new, at the time , V6 transistor amp. Fortunately, they'd learnt

from their mistake with the previous V4 bass cab ( it was a monster ) and they seemed to have looked at the Sunn 2 x 15,  better designed cab for inspiration.

However, despite building a lighter, neater bass cab, they then went and covered it in RAT FUR !

Needless to say, was not pretty after all this time, so I removed it, and had the cab sprayed with black 2 pack truck liner.

Looks really smart now, and the cats leave it alone.

I gigged it with 2 baselites , but I'll put the two cast H&H speakers back in it that I bought it with, still not too heavy. 8 ohm.

Not best used in pub gigs, but if you ever have outdoor gigs, this is the (inexpensive ) way to go. £199 ( now has a new owner )

Next, I have my two 2 x 15, B25 cabs , built to match the B15's bigger brother, the B25.

These are quite wide, but shallow, cabs, as was the fashion then, prob late 60's.

I think both still have the original CTS speakers, but I'll need to check. OK, first one I checked has a pair of the HH cast speakers, same as the V6 cab above, but 16 ohm. Other cab has original speakers, is 8 ohm.

both are black, still original, tolex, in fair condition for their age.

One has speakers fitted from front, other one requires removal of rear panel.

Original grills are quite presentable. Gonna try them with my B15 , see how they sound.

Will get pics tomoz, took me all day to dig them out !

Asking £199 each for a piece of Ampeg History.

V6 cab pics.

DSC_7823.thumb.JPG.781e9ed2c4bdbc5f2e7439c75877992a.JPG

DSC_7822.thumb.JPG.fc1a2a3f3e36383cbed139461fb7011e.JPG

DSC_7821.thumb.JPG.a9f1371a2ec497b661a93b2c9191225f.JPG

Edited by Chimike
added info
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not really qualified to answer that, haven't used a 4 x 10 for Donkeys years. My guess is, would largely depend on the quality of the drivers fitted to the cabs .

Best drum sound we got playing outdoors was when we used a pair of Acoustic 301 replica's ( think Jaco ) to boost the PA sound. Those Cerwin Vega 18" speakers

are just something else !