Why become a member? ×

Ibanez BTB observations

EBS_freak

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='479944' date='May 5 2009, 02:26 PM']I'll have to check on the real thing when I get home tonight. I've never noticed anything on mine, so I'm pretty sure the bridges will be straight. But now I'm all paranoid. :)[/quote]
Checked. All good. Indeed, they fan out to match the spread of the strings, but each bridge unit's parallel to its string.

It might be that the orientation of the bridge units is one of the few things that's done by hand, rather than CNC, so some dodgy ones squeak through. I'm still pretty shocked by that 776. It looks shoddy, but chances are it wouldn't make a shred of difference to the sound or intonation of the instrument.

I back up that statement with no evidence whatsoever. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='480529' date='May 5 2009, 11:29 PM']Checked. All good. Indeed, they fan out to match the spread of the strings, but each bridge unit's parallel to its string.

It might be that the orientation of the bridge units is one of the few things that's done by hand, rather than CNC, so some dodgy ones squeak through. I'm still pretty shocked by that 776. It looks shoddy, but chances are it wouldn't make a shred of difference to the sound or intonation of the instrument.

I back up that statement with no evidence whatsoever. :)[/quote]

Glad to hear all is good with your example. That would have peeved you off no doubt.

It's still bizarre though... the ones that I have seen... and the one on the website - it's not as if it's just a bit out... it's a LOT out.

I can never fault Ibanez for QC.
Never a raised fret, never a bad set of electronics...Oh but the Vari-Mid is prone to crackling over time but that's just the pots given.
Both mine went over time but with new posts it never shows again.

I don't notice the bridge saddles being off on my 5 or 6-string but if they really are they do no injustice to playing.
If you are thinking of getting one, go for it!

Checked my BTB406 last night, and...

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='480529' date='May 5 2009, 11:29 PM']Checked. All good. Indeed, they fan out to match the spread of the strings, but each bridge unit's parallel to its string.[/quote]
Ditto.

[quote name='Rich' post='480913' date='May 6 2009, 12:53 PM']Checked my BTB406 last night, and...

Ditto.[/quote]

Cool. Now, this makes me wonder... is it a problem with newer basses?? Or were they just off a bad run?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='481048' date='May 6 2009, 02:49 PM']Cool. Now, this makes me wonder... is it a problem with newer basses?? Or were they just off a bad run?[/quote]
Mine's a December 2008 model. If you can sneak back into your local shop with a notepad and get the serial numbers of the real duffers, you can find out when they were made:
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez#Serial_Numbers"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez#Serial_Numbers[/url]

In fact, if they're Indonesian like mine, you can tell at a glance: they go IYYMMXXXXX. So mine's I0812XXXXX. (I'm not geeky enough to know the rest of the s/n off the top of my head!)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='480947' date='May 6 2009, 01:19 PM']It's nice to see there's some love for the BTBs. I thought I was alone... :)[/quote]

No way. Many like them I'm sure.
They may have gone ultimatly exotic on woods but that's not a bad thing I guess...some make me feel sick though.
I just wish they'd bring the Maple FIngerboards over to the 6-string models!!! :rolleyes: