Why become a member? ×

Hohner The Jack + Steinberger STADB04 Bass String Adapter 4-String

Chienmortbb

46 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I have a Spirit headless and it doesn't seem to be compatible with the existing unit as there's no obvious means to attach it to the headstock and still retain access to the truss rod (I was looking at the images on Thomann's website).

It's held on by the tension of the strings, nothing else. On the Jack (from memory) you could still  access the truss rod while it was in place as the unit literally just sits on top of where the strings feed through the holes, not the hole head piece. 

They do work a treat. I'm no artist (well, certainly no Rolf Harris) and if you can work out from my cruddy drawing, they sort of fit like this. 

IMG_5873.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I was sceptical too but as it pulls the strings straight through the holes on the top unit it is rock solid. 

Oh no. Another purchase of something I didn't know I couldn't live without. 😂😂

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

It's held on by the tension of the strings, nothing else.

I used a small amount of household silicon to hold mine in place. Being gentle, and with all the strings removed it would stay in place. And I could access the TR hole from memory.

• Thanks 1

It turned up yesterday in this box. Nothing else in side and no packing paper. You may need to enlarge the photos to see it in the top left corner.

DSC08233.jpg.7f2703b6a2157188f59f28b776946fd6.jpg

After taking the original string holder off I couldn't figure out how to place it in such a way that it stayed on as described above and just started to think that you scamps on BassChat were having me on when I realised its an adapter, and that it fits over the existing string holder.

DSC08234.jpg.8e94c49794a637e76ff46b86f936b27e.jpg

If this isn't the correct way to fit it, it's the only way I can find that works. 😄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Geek99 said:

You should plait those ends … like a string goatee

They have been trimmed since the photo. But it could be useful to leave the string ends (or plait them) to discourage punters from getting too close to me during pub gigs. Or attach little LED fairy lights to them for that space rock/hippy/freak out effect. 😃