Why become a member? ×

Sticky Stacky Pots

Jolltax

Both the stacked pots on my Sire M2 stick to each other, its annoying as it means that adjusting main volume, tone (#1) and middle frequencies boost/cut (#2) is a two hand job.

They were like this from new, but to be honest when I started playing I thought they were supposed to be like that as I didn't know any better 🤣 - I'm not going to tell you how long it took me to notice ( ***cough*** a long time ***cough ****)

Any tricks I can try to fix it?

Obviously I know I can change the pots out for different ones, I am hoping for an easier fix - I wonder is it possibly the buttons / knobs themselves rather than the pots?

Edited by Jolltax

Yeah slacken the hex screw off and move the top knob up slightly. Tbh I'm not keen on concentric knobs that are made from plastic/rubberised material and also the type where the upper knob sits in a recess inside the lower one as both of those factors make them more prone to this problem.

I'd probably just fit better knobs tbh, the East knobs (or the Guyker clones on AliExpress which are always in stock) are a good bet provided your pot shafts are standard 6mm and 6 & 8mm diameter.

EDIT these are the ones I bought to replace the junk rubber ones on my Ibanez, may not be suitable for Sire due to mix of split/solid shafts:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001707768926.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.27.787e1802v8RgCp

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002683252060.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.28.787e1802v8RgCp

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jolltax said:

Yeah, I think I will order some, the stock ones are fairly horrible anyway

Worth checking what type of shafts you have, IIRC my Sire V7 had split ones for the regular ones and solid for the stacked whoch meant I needed screw on and push on knobs respectively. Not sure what they put on the M series.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2023 at 10:59, lemmywinks said:

Worth checking what type of shafts you have, IIRC my Sire V7 had split ones for the regular ones and solid for the stacked whoch meant I needed screw on and push on knobs respectively. Not sure what they put on the M series.

It is the same preamp and the knobs feel the same as on the V series basses, I will look at my M2 tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...