Why become a member? ×

NAD: Genzler Magellan 800

BassAdder60

So the Genzler Magellan 800 arrived from Bass Direct ( great service ) and it’s being used with my Ampeg Svt212av cab with the option of adding my SVT112av using the 2.67ohms out for larger gigs or outside etc.

First impressions are favourable and it’s a very clean sounding amp with a touch of warmth ( not quite as vintage as my ToneHammer ) but very nice and easy to get a good sound from it.

The switchable drive channel is one of the best of heard and sounds spot on.

Then the blue / orange contour settings give you even more tonal choices. 
I like it, very loud, but also very quiet when it matters ie studio or home ( not heard the fan so quieter than ABM or ToneHammer, Elf etc ) 

Build quality is fantastic and better in the flesh compared to the images 

They got it right with this amp, all works as it should and nothing you don’t need. Decent price too IMG_4617.thumb.jpeg.8572c8945bf9bd6397a46f39b6e4185b.jpegIMG_4619.thumb.jpeg.581ca5079fe2dad6ff91ddf049bb9c96.jpeg

• Like 4

My favourite Class D amp of them all...and very versatile: between the Contour and the Channels, lots of great sounds to be had very quickly (which is what I need, playing in a band with a wide selection of songs from lots of genres), I'd probably still have it if I hadn't moved to digital modelling with the Stomp.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, goonerjoe said:

Keeping an eye on this as you seem to test drive every amp I want... Thank you for your service to my bank balance!

Definitely true I have had quite a few over the last two years.

I think I have made progress but perhaps a minor one in truth as the other amps were equally awesome in their own way.

However .. the Magellan 800 is definitely ahead of the game .. it’s clean channel is so nice I feel reluctant to kick in the drive channel ( which is subtle to say the least )

Very simple to control and adjust and get a great sound straight away. 
You can see the thought that went into this amp, all features very good and nothing unnecessary.

The 2.67ohms was the reason I picked it ( like the TH700 ) it’s one of the few amps, excluding tube amps, that can run a 4 ohm cab with an 8ohm cab. This makes my Ampeg stack an amazing rig. 
Fingers crossed it’s got an equal reliability to Aguilar and the like. 

If Jeff Genzler looks on here .. thank you for a great product 

37 minutes ago, goonerjoe said:

How does it compare with the ABM in these terms

Less woolly sounding but it’s to be expected as the ABM600 bass is set at 40hz and the Magellan is 75hz I believe ? 
It seems to be perfectly providing really useful EQ points and that makes it easy to dial in a tone for each bass and style. More versatile too 

19 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

OMG THAT is awesome. ( although the Shuker does clash with the flooring)

The flooring went (moved house), the Shuker stayed... 🙂

Yeah, it sounded fantastic, but I found out a terrible truth about myself when I had it; it was supposed to be the ultimate modular setup for any size of gig...and I discovered my Bloke OCD meant I brought all three cabs to most gigs 'just in case'...and that's 90lbs+ of cab (albeit in three lumps), just when I was working very hard to reduce my lifting and carting work... 🙁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ern500evo said:

Really nice sounding amps. When I bought my Dingwall from Bass Direct, they set me up through a Magellan and I was really impressed. I think if I was ever to go back to class d amps, it would be very high on my list. 

I think the amp shows the true sound of the bass very well. Lovely clean channel 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tee said:

What's the noise floor like on these? Any discernible hiss that you often get with class D?

How's the headphone out for practice?

Not used the headphone out but they are very quiet without any hiss and the fan is very quiet too 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/08/2023 at 13:14, Tee said:

What's the noise floor like on these? Any discernible hiss that you often get with class D?

How's the headphone out for practice?

I love mine for gigs, it's got volume for days, I normally use it with a single Genzler 112 cab, sometimes I take 2, but I never really NEED to.

What's really impressive is that it works well at home too, it still sounds good at low volumes, I've not heard any noise and the fan is really quiet.

I've not tried the headphone out, I'll give it a go later on just to see.

I know you didn't ask, but the DI is superb on it too.

• Like 1