Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal rooms under railway arches - interference

Al Krow

38 minutes ago, peteb said:

I wonder if it's the same studio where I used to rehearse forty or so years ago? 

Funnily enough, we had the same problem last night playing a gig in a club in Manchester under a railway arch. There was a lot of interference for the guitar player's Les Paul, while my passive jazz bass was OK if I kept the volume on full for both pickups (a lot of noise if I turned down one pickup). It probably would have been better if I had used an active bass, but there's not a lot you can really do. We just ignored it and the noise tends to get lost when the band is playing. Just remember to mute everything when its not in use. 

Thanks Pete. Does the Les Paul have single coil pups or humbuckers? 

PS what was the studio you were at 40 years back?

Edited by Al Krow

20 minutes ago, itu said:

I've seen humbucking systems that are built to the pickguard to reduce single coil hum. Still the instrument acts and sounds like a single coil.

The name 'humbucker' literally means to reduce (buck) the hum that you got from early single coil pickups! Unfortunately, it isn't 100% effective. 

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Pete. Does the Les Paul have single coil pups or humbuckers? 

PS what was the studio you were at 40 years back?

It's a Custom Shop Les Paul with humbuckers, so obviously not a cheap guitar without shielding, etc. Never had a problem before, just an extreme situation! 

I have been trying to remember the name of the studio, but it was in my very early 20s, so a long time ago! Half of that band are no longer with us! I was hoping that you were going to ame the studio and see if it rang any bells. Early 80s alert - if I remember correctly, at the time it was managed by the original bass player for the Fixx...!  

EDIT: it might have been Terminal Sudios, but I'm not too sure (I know that I did use Terminal at one point). 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds sophisticated? Is there a pedal that does the same thing? 

The system has to be close to the hum, i.e. pickups. Was it Vigier that has a dummy coil in the Excess control plate? And Alembic has that dummy coil visible in between the actual pickups.

Find more info using words: "hum removal dummy coil".

Edited by itu

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The one we were at was Husky's studio under the railway arch and just along the road on Amelia St from the Tankard Pub (which is starting to do live music again).

Huskys, thats the one I've definitely rehearsed there numerous times, probably circa early 00s, it was fairly clean and tidy as I remember, certainly no funny electrical noises then, and this wouldve been with loud guitarists playing Les Pauls.

Good to know the pub's doing live bands now, always nice to hear.