Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee DI-2112 - looking for settings for a Geddy tone

basexperience

Hello BassChatters.

After playing Rush tunes for nearly 30 years, I've got some musicians who might be able to play it too, which is amazing. So I've splashed out via Reverb on one of these: 

https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/di-2112/

Apart from being taken aback slightly by the dinky nature of the device (it's well made!) I've had about half an hour of tinkering to see what tones I can get out of a couple of Jazz basses (a Sire V7 Mk 2 and a Maruszczyk Elwood Absolution 5a). Both passive, both pickups on and full passive tone.

I'm hearing good things, but wondered if anyone had any favourite Geddy type noises they've made with it, and some tips.

Otherwise I'll just freeze frame Geddy demoing the rack mount and see if those work 😉

Cheers m'deers

Andy

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I haven’t got this one, but I have the two smaller ones, the YYZ and the MP40 and they both had settings in the booklets which come very close.

Excellent! Thanks matey, I’ll get the manual downloaded. It didn’t come with one!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

love my rack unit, not using to sound like geddy but love the way the two channels mix

Me too, that separate bass and saturation section is just superb, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's the best part. I bought the Di2112 too for the Tight switch ( awesome ) and the fact you can go with one mixed signal out or stick with the split channel out, alas I haven't used my 2112 at all and stick with the rack or live use a YYZ, although live I do miss the adjustable saturation part.

I did find the manual settings were a touch on the fizzy side for me, but defo a good starting point, keep fiddling and you'll find it's an altogether superb unit.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RM1999 said:

I did find the manual settings were a touch on the fizzy side for me, but defo a good starting point, keep fiddling and you'll find it's an altogether superb unit.

I thought that at first, certainly when I was using in isolation at home, but when you put yourself in a live situation it really doesn’t - to my ears anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I thought that at first, certainly when I was using in isolation at home, but when you put yourself in a live situation it really doesn’t - to my ears anyway.

Yes I agree and probably live I'm near the book settings for the YYZ, ( but it was in reference to the rack or DI2112 ) , having never gigged the rack or the 2112, indeed things change live from a medium level practice room.

It's worth bearing in mind that Geddy's tone when heard in isolation is far clankier and rattlier (and possibly fizzier, these things are subjective and tricky to define) than with the other two at it, I'd be inclined to errr on the side of clank/rattle/fizz until I'd heard it in a band context...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...