Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Super J4 with extra P-pickup and pickguard
£2300
Sweden

bassmayhem

I didn't think this day would come...

After using Dingwall basses some years I have decided to part from these two gems. Why? Are they bad? No! Not at all! The opposite, actually. 
I have owned Prima 6, Sklar, Super J5, Super P5, a beautiful Afterburner 5, A super P4 and this jewel, the Super J4 that can be converted to a Super JP4 in a matter of minutes. I find myself grabbing my five string Payson Supercharger P/J or my precious custom made Unicorn Purist 5 at least 99 % of the time.

Also, I get older and feel the urge or need to clear the storage. I use mostly my five strings, and occasionally my Jazz bass and Peavey T40, who are yearlings. (1979)

About the bass:

The Super J is light with an alder body.  The bridge pickup is placed close to the bridge, like a 70's Jazz Bass. 

It has a very versatile J Retro Deluxe preamp, but I have never used the eq. I prefer it flat. The tone is the same, active or passive. 

The passive tone control works in both active and passive mode. I  use that tone control, never the active eq. 

The neck is to die for. It feels like it has been played since the 60's. The fingerboard edges are rolled and kind of "worn in".
The bass is refinished, a guy in Stockholm started the job in January 2020. Then suddenly Covid struck and the world closed down.

I rushed and got it back half made, and did the rest of the job myself with cellulose lacquer, but honestly, I haven't buffed or polished it at all. I'd call it matte. 

The bass has 32" G string, 32,75" D string, 33,5" A string and 34,25" E string, making the string-to-string balance and tension very even.

You don't need to use Dingwall strings on the bass; I often use regular D'Addario strings. They work well, actually better balance than on a traditional bass.

The original Super J electronics was malfunctioning, either the pot or the treble part of the preamp. I put that in the package too, mounted on the original bell plate.

The Super J has ordinary D'Addario strings.

No trades, unless you give me an offer I can't refuse... ;) 

LOTS of pictures on request!

The price is £2300 or 2540€ plus cost of shipping.

20230722_124421.jpg

20230722_124439.jpg

16 - With P harness.jpg

17 - With both pickguards.jpg

5  - Body again.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 10

Unfortunately it seeems impossible to ship second hand goods from Sweden with insured freight. Postnord says no-no. DHL says no-no. They can ship uninsured goods, but that is out of the question. I won't use UPS: they suck. They suck B.I.G. I keep the ad up as a teaser... ;) 

Edited by bassmayhem

That's a shame.  Both lovely basses.

I already have a Super P, but would love to hear about the Stellartone thing, and what you didn't like about the original electronics.  I never turn it into the scooped area.

Sorry if it's a sale derail!

On 10/08/2023 at 17:56, wintoid said:

That's a shame.  Both lovely basses.

I already have a Super P, but would love to hear about the Stellartone thing, and what you didn't like about the original electronics.  I never turn it into the scooped area.

Sorry if it's a sale derail!

Check this:

On 10/08/2023 at 10:03, bassmayhem said:

Unfortunately it seeems impossible to ship second hand goods from Sweden with insured freight. Postnord says no-no. DHL says no-no. They can ship uninsured goods, but that is out of the question. I won't use UPS: they suck. They suck B.I.G. I keep the ad up as a teaser... ;) 

Try DB Schenker in Sweden or even EuroSender as we, as BC members, have a discount there.

Calling @ped to assess it's still available.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Try DB Schenker in Sweden or even EuroSender as we, as BC members, have a discount there.

Calling @ped to assess it's still available.

Eurosender insures to £1000 or 1000€ - I don't remember which - unless you can verify the value of the item with a certain document. I shut down the page so I didn't read it too carefully... ;) 

• bassmayhem changed the title to Dingwall Super J4 with extra P-pickup and pickguard