Why become a member? ×

Rattle can glitter refinish

Marky L

I just saw this on YTube and I just wanted to get a feel from those more capable members on here as to whether this seems viable and isn't just a bunch of video nonsense.

I have been wanting to glitter/sparkle refinish the bitsa P fretless I have but don't have the funds to pay a pro to do the job. Bare in mind I am a cack handed klutz and anything that could, will go wrong (i.e. falling face first on the final coat as it dries).

Whaddya think? Is it this straight forward?

• Like 1

So long as you can practice "less is more" with the go button on the rattle can you can avoid the dreaded runs.

I have sprayed the odd thing, nothing fancy like a guitar and it's definitely not as easy as he makes it look. A bit of practice on a piece of cardboard first would be a good idea.

'You can always do another coat. You can't take it off again without sanding it.'

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Marky L said:

I just saw this on YTube and I just wanted to get a feel from those more capable members on here as to whether this seems viable and isn't just a bunch of video nonsense.

Bare in mind I am a cack handed klutz and anything that could, will go wrong

Everything in that video is achievable as long as you aren't a cack handed klutz. 😁

Seriously though, with care and patience you can do everything pretty much as he says in the video. There's a couple of of bits that make me wince but that's just me being fussy. Rubbing in straight lines with your fingertips, in the same direction as your fingers are pointing is a no no, you'll encourage a rippley surface. Use a rubber block with the paper and rub at forty-five degrees to direction the block is facing, ie aim the front edge of the block at twelve o'clock but rub the block towards two o'clock (ish). It stops the edge of the block making lines. For the areas a block isn't suitable use your fingers but keep your hand flat and rub more with pads of your fingers and the area between the two finger joints rather than the tips, also use that same forty-five degree motion as much as possible, or ninety degrees to fingers, never in line with your fingers. 

Also stay away from the corners, I know it doesn't have corners but I mean rub the front and back down, then all around the sides and leave the little roundover until last and just give it a tickle with some fine paper, this will be the easiest part to rub through, which you want to avoid. 

As with anything, the more care and time you take the better the end result. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the spray trigger.

Sanding at 45 degrees, I sort of get it. Just don't go straight forward. I guess I need to sand delicately and not just go at it! Slow and steady wins the race.

Edited by Marky L
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marky L said:

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the srpay trigger.

Sanding at 45 degrees, I sort of get it. Just don't go straight forward. I guess I need to sand delicately and not just go at it! Slow and steady wins the race.

That's it, if you picture your finger tips going straight forwards you'll see four lines rubbed, if hold you fingers flatter and move your hand at a diagonal to your fingers you'll see a larger area rubbed without getting lines.

It's not absolutely vital, just good practice to avoid rubbing lines into the surface with your fingers or a block edge. 

Silver sparkle will be pretty forgiving on any ripples in the finish anyway so you'll be fine. 

Silver will however really show up any scratches in the primer so make sure you finish you primer in a nice fine sandpaper, 800 would be OK but I I'd use 1000 wet just to be sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maude said:

That's it, if you picture your finger tips going straight forwards you'll see four lines rubbed, if hold you fingers flatter and move your hand at a diagonal to your fingers you'll see a larger area rubbed without getting lines.

It's not absolutely vital, just good practice to avoid rubbing lines into the surface with your fingers or a block edge. 

Silver sparkle will be pretty forgiving on any ripples in the finish anyway so you'll be fine. 

Silver will however really show up any scratches in the primer so make sure you finish you primer in a nice fine sandpaper, 800 would be OK but I I'd use 1000 wet just to be sure. 

I can totally visualise the sanding action and the reason why. I really want a purple glitter so I guess it depends on what is available. 

Make sure the primer layer is good and smooth, got it 😃 I don't expect to end up with a flawless finished article, but better than acceptable is the lower limit.

Another thing to bear in mind regarding colour and the ability to achieve the desired finish, is that the darker the colour the better the finish will have to be to look acceptable, as a darker colour will reflect more and show up any flaws more. Think greasy fingerprints on a black bass compared to a white one. 

I'm absolutely not trying to put you off, quite the opposite, more food for thought. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Hah! I think I saw the same video a few years ago and have the paints in my Amazon wish list (purple is also my jam). Still never got round to ordering it all!

I wish you luck and I hope your success brings me closer to doing it myself!

I think this may be a "it'll happen one day" type project. Though maybe it would be better to do in the warmer weather.

12 hours ago, Maude said:

Another thing to bear in mind regarding colour and the ability to achieve the desired finish, is that the darker the colour the better the finish will have to be to look acceptable, as a darker colour will reflect more and show up any flaws more. Think greasy fingerprints on a black bass compared to a white one. 

I'm absolutely not trying to put you off, quite the opposite, more food for thought. 

Not putting me off at all. It's all good information to tip in to the hat. Indeed, having had a number of black cars in the past, I vowed never to have another! Beautiful when clean and polished but can end up looking like a shed in no time!