Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass Pre-Amp Problems

Tmg

Amp now Fixed - I took it into Orange and it turned out to be a dodgy treble pot. Big thank you to Joe Gray @ Orange for getting it sorted!

Hi all,

Over the last few months I've been having problems with my terror bass head.

When I go through the pre-amp I'm only getting a fraction of the volume from the amp and sometimes nothing at all. But if I plug in through the send of the effects loop I get the full 500 watts of the power amp!

So it's got to be a problem between the pre-amp and the power amp.

I've tried changing the valves and lost faith in my local amp tech guy, as I've taken it to him twice now, only for me to get it home and find it's exactly the same.

Any body here had a similar problem?

At the moment I've managed to get over the problem by running a 'two tones revolt bass pre-amp' into the power amp, which to be honest I really like the sound of, so will probably carry on with this set up, but I'd still like to get the amp fixed.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tmg
Problem solved

Maybe try emailing Orange. The old TB is pretty much an AD200 preamp into a class D power amp, but it has quite a few quirks. 

A preamp issue shouldn't be too hard for a tech to sort out. Could be a power rail that has failed, dodgy switching jack in the send of FX loop (sounds like you've ruled out the return jack), bad pots, bad solder joint, bad push on connectors (if there is any) or a failed component like a JFET. If the tech thinks it's fine maybe it's intermittent, or is that not your experience?

Where are you based?  

• Like 1

My first action was to email Orange and they gave me a guys details but he was miles away.

I'm in Barnwell, about 16 miles away from Peterborough. So I took it to my old tech guy in Bedford but after he'd had two attempts i thought I'd ask around before taking it anywhere else. 

It has been intermittent in the past, but I think my techs hearing there's a signal and thinking he's fixed it, but it's not even at a ¼ of the volume. 

Maybe I'll give that a go, thanks. I must admit when I first contacted Orange I offered to send it to them, even offered to run it down to their factory in Borehamwood, but it fell on deaf ears 😑

The old terror basses we're sometimes a bit touchy. When they went for repair Orange used to replace every PCB in the amp and send them back out under warranty. Most common failure is "shoot through" on one of the output transistors; it shorts out and takes the mains fuse with it. The new ones should be more reliable. The first prototype for the MKII actually became the Little Bass Thing I think. If Orange don't fancy taking a look, I'd recommend JPF Amps on Demark St in Central London.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tmg said:

Maybe I'll give that a go, thanks. I must admit when I first contacted Orange I offered to send it to them, even offered to run it down to their factory in Borehamwood, but it fell on deaf ears 😑

That’s poor, thought Orange had better customer service than that.

• Like 1

Find the official Orange service centre for your neck of the woods. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the factory if you're in driving range. Even if it's not the closest take it to them and tell them what you know and they will fix it good.

'Lukewarm' does not cut the mustard. Just show up with it.

15 hours ago, northcountrybob said:

Most common failure is "shoot through" on one of the output transistors

The old old ones used to blow the top off one of the capacitors, I don't think it's that either as OP has a perfectly operational power stage.

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Find the official Orange service centre for your neck of the woods. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the factory if you're in driving range. Even if it's not the closest take it to them and tell them what you know and they will fix it good.

'Lukewarm' does not cut the mustard. Just show up with it.

The old old ones used to blow the top off one of the capacitors, I don't think it's that either as OP has a perfectly operational power stage.

That's true, almost had one hit me in the face once... and the Negative Temperature Coefficient Thermistors used to break off the IEC inlets, and the 6V reg for the heaters in the preamp valves used to to fail. The switching FETs in the supply would short out. The rectifier diodes mounted under the power transformer would expire. The switching IC's driving the power supply FET's would expire. The core in the transformers would come loose and rattle about in the middle of the windings. The posts the power supply PCBs were attached to would break off. Inductors on the output PCB would break off. The switching frequency for the output drivers would come out of calibration (set by two little trim pots). The potential divider on the output PCB that sets a reference frequency that determines the "dead time" of the output FETs isn't set to anything from the driver chip spec sheet. So "dead time" is minimal, which means there's very little time when one output FET turns off and the next in the pair turns on, which increases the risk of shoot through in the output FETs. I'm fairly certain it was also designed around 230V mains, when we have up to 252V here IIRC. The input to the supply is a voltage doubler when switch to 120V for the US, so that makes issues with spicy mains worse I think. My guess is that's partly why some people would have repeat problems even after all the PCB's in their amp being swapped out. 

On 12/07/2023 at 09:44, northcountrybob said:

That's true, almost had one hit me in the face once... and the Negative Temperature Coefficient Thermistors used to break off the IEC inlets, and the 6V reg for the heaters in the preamp valves used to to fail. The switching FETs in the supply would short out. The rectifier diodes mounted under the power transformer would expire. The switching IC's driving the power supply FET's would expire. The core in the transformers would come loose and rattle about in the middle of the windings. The posts the power supply PCBs were attached to would break off. Inductors on the output PCB would break off. The switching frequency for the output drivers would come out of calibration (set by two little trim pots). The potential divider on the output PCB that sets a reference frequency that determines the "dead time" of the output FETs isn't set to anything from the driver chip spec sheet. So "dead time" is minimal, which means there's very little time when one output FET turns off and the next in the pair turns on, which increases the risk of shoot through in the output FETs. I'm fairly certain it was also designed around 230V mains, when we have up to 252V here IIRC. The input to the supply is a voltage doubler when switch to 120V for the US, so that makes issues with spicy mains worse I think. My guess is that's partly why some people would have repeat problems even after all the PCB's in their amp being swapped out. 

I won't even try and pretend I know what all that means! So a define trip to Orange is on the cards. Thanks everyone 👍

• 3 months later...