Why become a member? ×

Micro rig recommendations

Ant_On_Bass

I'm potentially looking for a micro rig to jam at home, or with a couple of guitarists. I normally play through my DAW at home and have a GK2001rb as my main rig but, looking for something small and compact to play through. Primarily a rock and metal guy. Recommendations would be much appreciated!

Edited by Ant_On_Bass

I’d say if you’re happy with the GK sounds then their MB200 would be worth a look. Cabwise I’d check out the LFSys Monza, as per the link below. Nice & small set up but with some good sound quality.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ant_On_Bass said:

Thanks! I do enjoy the GK sound I'll have to check that out!

MB150 or 200MB combo then? Very compact, 12" speaker, usable for gigs if you're not playing against a hard-hitting drummer.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tauzero said:

MB150 or 200MB combo then? Very compact, 12" speaker, usable for gigs if you're not playing against a hard-hitting drummer.

This. I have an MB150E that is brilliant for exactly that situation. Unhappily no Mesa equivalent.

How small do you want to go and what is your budget? 

For this very purpose I use a pair of RCF Ayra Pro5 studio monitors around £350 new. They are bookshelf sized 5" speakers  but quite deep. They go up to 107db and in my 3.5x4m study that is too loud to be comfortable without plugs. I rehearse with my duo here, two vocals, guitar and bass +programmed drum tracks and get nowhere near the limits of these speakers. Other speakers are available but check the rated output. I note that the Yamaha HS5 and the Rokits only rate at 101db though Genelec make a 5" monitor rated at 110db. The sound is impeccable, way better than our PA and of course they will do as studio monitors :)

If you want to do a bit of DIY then for around £70 you could build one of these https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/455858-house-jam-micro-cab/ Combined with a micro amp (Elf/Gnome/BAM) it will blow you away in a domestic setting if you want

image.png.bcca7234dfcb78ec4fbecf6eeefdd489.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1