Why become a member? ×

Anybody played in via fossa Nottingham recently?

Bassmidget209

Hey guys hope you can help. I have a gig in the aforementioned pub/venue on the 8th July. Now the fun part is that I have volunteered my amp for the bassists. Now I have zero issues sharing but I'm now concerned I'm underpowered. I have a 350watt ampeg portaflex and an 8 ohm ashdown 2x10 cab. It's not a stellar setup I know but honestly it's there so I have AN amp for times that it's not provided by the venue (my main tone comes through my preamp pedals). Now I have used this setup a few times in practice and it's...fine. holds its own etc but I'm worried that it won't work for other bands or running it at full pelt for a whole night is gonna result in a small explosion at some point. 

So my question to everyone is this: does anyone have any recent experience with this venue and is the PA etc decent? Will my amp be supported by the PA or am I gonna have to get an extra cab sharpish? I would really rather not put a cab on credit if I don't have to but I also don't want to let the other bands and ultimately the crowd down as well with subpar bass noise!

Thanks in advance everyone!

I've not been to this venue yet, but one of my bands has a gig coming up there at the end of September. We don't use any backline at all, similarly the band who have organised the gig and are headlining. However neither band has a drummer with an acoustic kit. Having said that I don't know any venue in Nottingham putting on originals bands gigs that does't have a sufficiently powerful PA to require the backline to do FoH duties.

Thanks guys so far. Yeah I'm sure it's very similar to venues in Glasgow in that the bass amp is basically a stage monitor. I just don't want to be wrong haha. I would ask the promoter but the messages this far he kept referring to amps as cabs so I'm not sure he's the person to get good information on this stuff lol 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just thought I would post a follow up for future reference. Full PA as would be expected. Our on stage sound was awful, partly due to possibly Inadequate monitors, partly an inexperienced sound tech. From what we have gathered we sounded good out front and the gig was fun. Top tip, most people will stay outside given the chance (which is fair enough, it's a lovely place to bo.honest) but means very few watching you, try and make an effort to drag people in OR arrange for a massive thunderstorm before your set. Worked wonders for the other two bands!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bassmidget209 said:

Hey just thought I would post a follow up for future reference. Full PA as would be expected. Our on stage sound was awful, partly due to possibly Inadequate monitors, partly an inexperienced sound tech. From what we have gathered we sounded good out front and the gig was fun. Top tip, most people will stay outside given the chance (which is fair enough, it's a lovely place to bo.honest) but means very few watching you, try and make an effort to drag people in OR arrange for a massive thunderstorm before your set. Worked wonders for the other two bands!

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully by the time we play there at the end of September they will have got their act together regarding the PA and monitors. Because we don't have any backline or drums on stage, provided we can hear what is coming out of the FoH, the foldback is less critical for anything except vocals.