Why become a member? ×

Sub Bass - Is there such a pedal?

Linus27

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Back up the bus and talk to Alex if you don't believe me. What jollies you are getting from your BF210 and a 5er low B is all 60hz and up. If you pump it full of 30hz you will kill it. It will either turn it into heat or give it conniptions.

You should employ a proper high pass. Any PA you are likely to plug into will be highpassed 50hz or so anyway.

What everyone thinks of as "low bass" is an octave higher than its fundamental.

The problem is when you give a speaker a pumped up fundamental it distorts. That distortion is the first overtone. Your brain assembles that with the other pure harmonics as the tone of the fundamental. Similarly an 810 low E sounds like a low E, ain't no 40hz in it.

Also what amp is the op using? Need something with some power behind I’d to get the low out aswell

On 07/07/2023 at 10:02, Linus27 said:

Just reading up about a low pass filter as this sounds like it might be an interesting idea. 

It doesn’t have to be the Moog, any decent low pass filter should do.

After selling the Moog, I did similar using a Source Audio filter (which are about £100 or so). It’ll give you a very synth like sound. 

But at the end of the day, the Roli Rise does a far better job & is just as expressive as playing bass.