Why become a member? ×

Little Mark Bass III Line Out Static

Has anyone come across this issue before?

The white noise I get from the line out on my Mark Bass head through the PA speakers and is so bad we end up turning me right down front of house or muting me when I’m not playing. 

I’ve got a Little Mark 3 Mark Bass head running through two Mark Bass cabs. Line out into a DI box and then into the PA. Issue still persists no matter how I set up or what venue I’m in. Took it to our local Amp guy and he couldn’t find any issues.  

Aside from just mic-ing up the cab, I feel like the LM3 shouldn’t really be making the amount of static noise that it does. 

Anyone any ideas?! 

Edited by JazzBassGirl

• JazzBassGirl changed the title to Little Mark Bass III Line Out Static
2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Have you tried it without the DI box?

Yep,  my first question would be why are you using an additional DI box when there’s a ‘proper’ DI out on the head? I’ve had lots of issues with my MB heads but the DI isn’t one - I’ve used it on stages and gigs with all manner of different setups and it’s been fine. 

When you say ‘line out’, you’re definitely using the DI, right? Rather than the effects loop, or from one of the cab thru sockets?

• Like 4

Yes tried with and without a DI box and makes no difference — it’s why I picked up a decent DI box as I thought maybe the at was the issue. 

But yes definitely coming out of the back of the head. The XLR that is labelled up “Line Out” (image on the bottom) 

image.thumb.jpeg.53cce3196d3236b19bea18059ed008e8.jpeg

You said that you were plugging the line out into the DI and then sending that to the desk.

When I've used a DI box in the past I plugged my bass into the DI box, a guitar lead from the DI box goes to the input jack on your amp and then an XLR lead goes from the DI box to the desk. That bypasses the amp completely and a clean signal then goes to the mixing desk. If there's a problem with a noisy line out, on your amp, that should solve the problem.

Edited by gjones
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just had a friend solve this for me. While the amp has the variable line output via the dial next the power button, you must still have the gain up and mute the speaker only from the master control. Seems a bit strange to have variable line level in itself and then make it dependent on gain level too but that’s what it is. Regards

On 27/01/2024 at 09:07, Rodney said:

Just had a friend solve this for me. While the amp has the variable line output via the dial next the power button, you must still have the gain up and mute the speaker only from the master control. Seems a bit strange to have variable line level in itself and then make it dependent on gain level too but that’s what it is. Regards

Seems logical, that's the input gain control, if you turn it to zero...