Why become a member? ×

LOUD buzzing sound coming from amp

I have an ashdown EB180 head wih MAG 210T and 115 cabs. Basically, i just went to turn it on just now and there was a faint buzzing sound, then it just got deafeningly loud. I've turned the gain and master volume down, still doing it, removed the guitar lead, still doing it, checked each cab separately, still doing it.

So, any insight as to what may be the problem? I don't have a clue, and i really REALLY don't have the cash to get it fixed.
f***.

EDIT: ta for moving CK

Edited by budget bassist

yeah might as well, aint gonna void any warranty i guess

EDIT: just opened it up, not really any dust to speak of and without knowing what i might be looking for, no blown componentry, fuses all intact, no loose wires or anything...

Edited by budget bassist

sounds like a power supply problem -- is it a 50Hz or 100Hz hum?

most likely either a loose or faulty filtering capacitor, although it could be other things. times like this it's handy to have an oscilloscope :)

the good news is it should be fairly simple (read: cheap) to fix.

[quote name='escholl' post='478091' date='May 3 2009, 08:58 AM']sounds like a power supply problem -- is it a 50Hz or 100Hz hum?

most likely either a loose or faulty filtering capacitor, although it could be other things. times like this it's handy to have an oscilloscope :)

the good news is it should be fairly simple (read: [b]cheap[/b]) to fix.[/quote]
good to know, though i'm not too sure what pitch the hum is, i don't fancy leaving it on long enough to find out (it's VERY loud), but it seems higher than 100hz? not sure tbh

[quote name='escholl' post='478091' date='May 3 2009, 08:58 AM']sounds like a power supply problem -- is it a 50Hz or 100Hz hum?

the good news is it should be fairly simple (read: cheap) to fix.[/quote]
Well done that man, ashdown reckon is was either a crack in the soldering on one of the large power amp caps or a faulty cap, sounds like a relatively easy/cheap fix, amirite?